Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Knitting Day

 I ignored the shoulds today and spent the greater part of the day knitting and watching TV. 


I'm into the fourth season of Downton Abbey and it's hard to stop.  I started up Cast Sock number 5 and made it into the decreases.  You'd think I'd be farther along but I found my hands idle in my lap quite often as I was engrossed in the happenings of the Crawley family and their servants.  I'm amazed at the storytelling and characterizations.



My Mother's Day geraniums are still alive and thriving.  The leaves are a little discolored but the flowers are going great guns.  They're so bright and cheerful when I look out the kitchen window.


 

The butterfly weed is still blooming too.  I love the bright yellow orange of the flowers.  I keep seeing butterflies on the mint in the morning but haven't managed to get out there to take pictures.

 


One year ago today Lala and I were in Yellowstone National Park starting our two-week adventure in the west.  Doesn't seem like a year already and yet in some ways it feels longer.

 

 

26 August--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's. 

By the time she slipped into the kitchen her scattered and inappropriate thoughts about what color the policeman’s uniform was had struck her as so totally funny, she was having trouble controlling herself.  It was all she could do when she saw Brady and Naomi’s solemn and scared faces not to burst out laughing. 

“What is so funny?” Brady growled as she sidled up to him.

 “Nothing really,” she said, “I just feel the urge to laugh.”  She wiped a hand across her lips, as if that would help her keep from smiling.  “The cops are here.  The biggest one is on his way…” 

Just then a loud male voice outside said, “Police!” and the door crashed opened and a policeman appeared in the opening, gun drawn, pointed straight at the three of them.  All three raised their hands just like they had seen in the movies.  “Who are you and what are you doing here?” the policeman barked at them, holding his gun steady. 

To Fay the barrel of the gun looked as big as a cannon, to Naomi it looked like her wildest nightmare come true, and to Brady it looked like a tiny piece of hell coming for him.  Brady spoke first, hands still in the air. 

“I am Brady Gallagher.  I own the diner.” He leaned first to one side and then the other.  “This lady here on my right is Naomi Cushing; she is my assistant cook.  The lady on my right is Fay, um, Fay…”  

She prodded him with her elbow. “Fay Taylor, you ignoramus,” she hissed. 

“Fay Taylor, the morning waitress.” 

The policeman had not relaxed his crouch or lowered his weapon as Brady told them who they were.  “Got any identification?”  

“If you will let us put our hands down without shooting us, we can get it,” Brady said, beginning to lower his hands slowly.  When he was reasonably sure the cop was not going to shoot him, he turned and leaned into the office and came back carrying his wallet.  He flipped it open for the officer, so his drivers’ license was visible. 

“Humph,” he grunted.  “What about you ladies?  Got any ID?” 

“Oh,” Naomi and Fay said together. 

They nearly collided in the office doorway in their haste to get their purses and show him that they were who Brady had said they were. 

After he had looked over their identification and called the dispatcher to have them checked out for “wants and warrants,” he finally asked, “What happened here?” 

Brady shook his head.  “I do not really know, Officer…?  I am sorry.  I would feel more comfortable if I knew your name.” 

The cop looked uncomfortable.  “Officer Bates.” 

Fay thought a minute and said, “Norman Bates?” 

Now the cop turned positively beet red.  “Yes, Norman Bates.  My ma was a movie buff.  Save your breath; I have heard all the jokes.” 

Naomi turned away to cover her smile and Fay put her hand over her lips pressing them into her teeth to keep from laughing out loud. 

“What?”  Brady asked, looking from one to the other with confusion. “Who is Norman Bates?” 

“I will explain later, Brady,” Naomi said.  “Tell Officer Bates what happened.” 

She grabbed Fay by the elbow and dragged her out the door where the two of them leaned against the back of the building and just howled.  They stayed outside of the diner until one of the young cops came out to say that Officer Bates was looking for them, that it was their turn to tell their story of the morning’s events. 


Today's toss was the remainder of the yarn I took to the knitting guild yarn swap last winter that didn't get given away.  I know we're planning to have another yarn swap/giveaway day next year but by then I'll have more yarn sorted out that I won't knit up.  I have too much yarn, way too much.  It might as well go someplace where another knitter will find it.

It was beastly hot and humid today but I think it's supposed to be nicer tomorrow, not as hot anyway, and cool off for the weekend.  We can only hope.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Isn't it weird how that compulsion to laugh can happen at the worst of all times? Who hasn't stifled a laugh during church? But poor Grady! And just when things were going to well. Wish I could get Paul invested in Downton Abbey. They are all such great people to spend time with. And they're always there!