Saturday, August 10, 2019

I Was Waylaid By Lutherans

There I was, minding my own business, walking into the grocery for a few veggies and an Rx, when a gaggle of earnest adults and teens converged on me asking if I had any children going to school.  I said no, thanks, and walked into the store.  I realized as I walked over to find a bag of slaw cabbage that it was the youth group from the church nearby doing their annual good deed give-away.  On my way out they converged again asking if I had grandchildren.  When I admitted that I did they pressed these two backpacks on me.  Inside are folders, notebooks, colored pencils, crayons, glue stick, glue, erasers, pencils, a sharpener, and a New Testament devotional.  LC and OJ will like them.  I see art projects and stories in our futures.



I wrote out a packing list this morning but once I'd filled this page I remembered that I might have started a list on my phone.  Yep, I did and there were things on the electronic list that hadn't made the paper list.  I still like paper lists the best.




When I went downstairs to throw in laundry I got distracted by some sewing projects.  At the Botanical Gardens concert a couple weeks ago, DS asked if I would please make him an "H" to use to tie up one of the picnic cloths that has a broken zipper.  He had one that he sent home with me to use as a pattern so I dug around in my webbing box and Velcro box and found some pieces that worked just fine.  So, I made an "H"!









Then I sewed the tassel braid around the hem of a dress for LC.  I saw a little girl in a sundress with tassels around the hem up in Door Co. so I found this reversible dress at Meijer last week and bought some (overpriced) tassel braid at Joann, washed it all, and sewed it together.  Before I give it to her I have to figure out something to give to OJ at the same time.  But isn't it cute?  She'll like it; she loves the Fancy Nancy books.  Ooh-la-la!








 

Once that was finished the pile of clothes I have cut out was looking at me sadly, feeling neglected, so I sewed up one of the Dress no.3's.  I got as far as pinning the binding around the neckline but was about ready to cut it to length and sew it on when I realized that I'd pinned it on upside down.  Time to quit for the day.  I'll sew it on tomorrow--after I mow the lawn.




10 August--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

By the time Sara had exclaimed over each painting, Aaron and David’s patience with Elizabeth was at an end.  We rescued them by dragging a few boxes into the kitchen.  Within a very few minutes, Elizabeth came chugging out to find where her new toys had gone.  Once she was happily chewing on a box corner, Sara quietly closed the bedroom door to give the computer guys some peace.
It was nearly 11 o’clock before Aaron came out of the bedroom declaring that my computer system was up and running.  Sara and Elizabeth had gone to bed and David had fallen asleep on the floor of my room.  Aaron carried him upstairs and tucked him in, then came back down to visit with me for a few minutes.  We spent a half hour catching up before I saw his eyelids drooping and he couldn’t stop yawning.  I shooed him to bed just like I had when he was a kid.
I dreaded turning on the light in my bedroom, anticipating that Aaron would have left everything scattered all over.  He’d been the messiest of the boys and I had heard Sara complain enough times about him leaving things all over the house.  But evidently my yelling all those years and Sara’s complaining had sunk in.  All the cartons were either broken down or nested, and the packing was all in one big plastic bag ready to be thrown away in the morning.
I went over and looked at my new toy.  It sat innocently on my new desk; I knew it was trying to fool me into thinking it would behave for me.  After having so much trouble with the computer at the school, I wasn’t fooled for a minute.  I had already bought a couple of books that said they were for the complete computer neophyte and I planned to annoy Aaron, and anyone else willing to help me, once I was brave enough to turn it on.


Evidently I'm not sleeping enough or well enough because I felt groggy most of today.  So groggy that I decided not to go to the dive shop corn roast tomorrow as it's at the tip of Door County and I'm just not in the mood to drive up there again.  I can eat corn at home.  Granted, not with the genial company that'll be there but I realized this afternoon that I wouldn't be safe driving feeling so tired all day so I'm not going.  I want to wake up tomorrow feeling more like myself.  Please.  I'm tired of being off-balance or off-kilter or whatever "off" it is I've been lately. Bah.

Oh, the package of Sunny Hill Sweet Corn I mailed to DD and SIL1 in Lexington, KY arrived and was warmly received.  Sending it was worth every penny and almost worth the aggravation.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Beth said...

Love the tassels on the dress!

Aunt B said...

OK -- Dress Number 3 is nice but it can't hold a candle to the tassel dress. Can just see her twirling in both versions! Ready for a nap after our weekend at the beach in St. Pete. Lucked out in the rain department but all that sunshine! Somehow it's exhausting to just sit out there in the heat. I'm definitely a hothouse flower!