Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Getting Dirty & Sweaty

This morning I decided it was time for me to get outside and pull all the weeds choking the milkweed and plant those three day lilies I bought last week in their place.  So I did but, of course, I waited until almost 10 o'clock to go out there so the morning cool was gone and the sun was high and blazing on the place where the weeds were.  Doesn't everyone wait until they can fry their brains while doing yard work?  Probably not.  Anyway I didn't take a before picture but, trust me, everywhere you see bare soil and lilies on the left, right, and center of the volunteer tree/shrub was covered with weeds an hour before.  I even went on the neighbors' side of the fence to yank out the stragglers because these weeds travel underground, the sneaky bastards.  I got two yellow lilies, one with an orange throat, and a white one with a yellow-ish throat.  I might also be planning to cruise by the front of Shopko later to see if any $3 lily plants are left...  I've got my allowance in my wallet...





The daisies aren't giving up but the purple coneflowers are working hard to take up the slack.  The daisies are really spreading so my plan is to dig up clumps of them and put some by the lilies I just planted and some along the side of the house, maybe some up on the retaining wall too.  Did I mention that daisies spread?







Last night at the caregivers meeting I cast on Sudoku Long Strip #2, didn't get very far but it's a start.  After the meeting I sat on the couch and crocheted the center Sudoku afghan panel to Sudoku Long Strip #1.  I know it looks the same as the last time I showed it to you but it isn't.  It's a couple hours closer to being completed.  Thank. The. Lord.  Now all I have to do is discipline myself to work on Strip #2, get it attached to the center and right panels, add some kind of edging and be done with this endless project.  Soon.  Ish.


August 9--William Paul Gottlieb, Billie Holiday nee Eleanora Fagin.  She sang as if her life depended on it.  The small girl stood on the splintered stage at the back of the old school gym singing to the bats in the rafters that were joined together by swags of cobwebs.  It was deep winter and almost as cold inside as it was outside.  Her breaths came out in long white streams as she sang.  "Velma," a voice echoed down the hall, "Mama says come home."  It was her little brother, Eldon.  "Mama says there're rats in here."  She heard him walking down the hall toward the gym, his too big boots crunching in the fallen plaster.

And that, my dears, is that.  I've gotta wrap this up tout suite because we have a 3 o'clock appointment to get our skeletons rearranged and we don't want to miss that.  Plus there's a whole string of stops that come after the rearrangements.  Exit, stage right.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are diligent what with your weeding and the never-ending Sudoku afghan. Yard work is never on my "To Do" list but I commend your efforts. Should be a real beauty spot when you're finished.