Thursday, August 18, 2016

Nobody Here But Us Tomatoes

(and that's pronounced "to-mah-toes," btw)  

I didn't knit a stitch yesterday, there's nothing blooming except some seriously scraggly purple coneflowers, and the interesting birds that stopped by did just that, stopped by and left because the jelly dish was empty.  They were a variety of oriole that I think are Orchard Orioles, but I'm not absolutely certain.  Aaaanyway, aside from the sky, all I have to show you are the rapidly ripening tamaters.

 
First comes Health Kick, the extra-Lycopene small, firm, plum-ish tomatoes.  They're great on sandwiches and in omelets, etc.


 


In the middle are the Bush tomatoes.  They're medium size and the slowest ripeners.  Haven't eaten one of those yet.




Last, but certainly not least, are the Celebrity tomatoes.  They're in the only black pot I have so they've suffered a bit of lack-of-water and heat stress which is why they're got that yellow-orange collar around the stem. (I looked it up)  They are also cracking good (can you tell I'm listening to an English period cozy?) on sandwiches and just eaten out of your hand, which is Durwood's preferred method.  That way there's nothing between him and nirvana.

August 18--Peter Brandt, Daniel's Ball.  The ball dwarfed his little hand but Daniel could keep it bouncing.  People smiled at the frown of concentration on his babyish face but he kept his eyes on the ball.  He wasn't coordinated enough to walk or run while he bounced it, that would come later.  For now, he was happy with the ringing thump of the red playground ball on the pavement.

The pace of my ankle tissues and tendons healing hasn't been as fast as I'd like and lately it's really been bugging the crap out of me to have my Achilles tendon hurt when I walk, plus I'm not liking wearing a compression stocking on my left calf to help control swelling but I'm wearing it.  Evidently I don't mind mismatched socks but abhor mismatched legs.  Yesterday, one of my many customers had on some lovely red shoes which reminded me that wearing red shoes has always lifted my spirits.  This morning I dug out my old orthotics that only go halfway from heel to toe (thereby not cramping my toes) which allows me to wear my red canvas hi-tops today.  Hooray for red shoes!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Hooray for all things red -- shoes, tomatoes, the hummingbird feeders, my kitchen. Well, the list could go on and on. But you know what I mean. We both love red!