Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Humming Along


Durwood saw Mr. & Mrs. Hummingbird at the feeder yesterday.  He said the Mrs. came for a sip, then sat back and called out, and then the Mr. arrived.  Naturally Durwood put the camera down after getting a shot of her and totally missed him.  Isn't that just the way?






I got May Preemie Hat #4 done, pompoms and all, yesterday so now I can sock to my heart's content.  The yarn colorway is Beach and I think it's well-named.  May's four preemie hats (I try to make four a month) are done and looking grand, ready to be donated at the Guild meeting on Thursday night.











I made that Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake stuff on Sunday night.  It's one of those odd recipes that seems like it'd be a mess at the end--you put the naked fruit in the pan, whip up a basic batter with vanilla and almond extract in it that you pour over the fruit, then sprinkle on a lot of sugar mixed with a little cornstarch, and finally pour on 2/3 cup of boiling water.  Then you shove it into the oven for 45 minutes.  It's not very cake-y, more like a... I don't know what but it's got a pudding like goo around the edges and the fruit is under a sugary crust and kind of like pie filling--yeah, that's it, like pie filling.  It's very tasty, still not quite sweet enough for Durwood, but I thought it was good.  I'll make it again and put in more rhubarb.  I added an extra cup and think it needs more.

Audible had a 2-for-1 sale of "summer" books last week and I picked a thriller by an Icelandic author I'm interested to listen to but the one I'm most excited about is called "The Adventure Collection" and is a compilation of Treasure Island, The Jungle Book, Gulliver's Travels, White Fang, and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood.  Now doesn't that sound like the most perfect string of summer reading there is?  I'm so excited to have five classics at my beck and call, I've already uploaded the Audible app to my phone and started Treasure Island on this morning's errands.  "Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum."  Avast, me hearties.  And arrrgh.  Totally worth a credit--or half a credit actually.

May 17--Bob Jones Jr., Endless Highway.

The double yellow line
divides the road--
us over here, 
them over there.
No crossing,
no mixing,
stay on your own side.
How many vehicles travel
this desolate stretch
that they need reminding
whose side is whose?
~~~~~ 

I am often surprised to see what shoots out of the end of my pencil when I touch it to paper.  I like it most days but it surprises me, like there's a disconnect that detours what I see around the thinking part of my brain and sends it directly down my arm.  I don't mind, I actually kind of like it.  It's Tuesday; that means it's pizza day.  I think I'll phone in our order and go get it now, save going later (which makes no sense but that's what I'm going to do).  Bye.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love the preemie hats. The pom-pom one is my favorite but then who doesn't love pom-poms?