Sunday, February 28, 2016

Ten Bucks' Worth

I am unable to come up to Sister Bay without meeting my TC friend, KS, at Bargains Unlimited, the resale shop run in support of the local retirement home.  I always find a few things I can't leave behind.  Yesterday I found some yarn (don't mock me) that was so cheap I couldn't leave it there, a cone of black serger thread for two bucks, and a bag of six silverplate soup spoons for five bucks.  If you add the cost of the thread and the spoons together you will see that I only paid three dollars for all of the yarn.  Score!




I probably should have done this when the sun shone on Friday and for a bit yesterday but didn't so you get to see moody, overcast views of Sister Bay and the Bay of Green Bay.  If you look closely you can see a little green on the rocks in the shallows near shore.  Outdoor green is good, especially at the end of February.  That dark brown building with the sod on the roof is Al Johnson's Restaurant; in the summer goats graze on the roof during the day, not so much in the dead of winter.

Hey, tomorrow is Leap Day and the Seamen's Church Institute has an idea what fiber people can do with their "extra" day--cast on something you can donate to their Christmas at Sea program.  I looked at the free patterns on their site and I think I'm going to take one of the skeins of acrylic & wool yarn I got yesterday and cast on a cowl.  They require that you use washable wool or acrylic (not pastels, please) and add no fringe, ties, tassels, or pompoms because of the danger of entanglement when working on a ship.  On their site they have a long list of free patterns for knitters and crocheters (that's where the popular 1898 Hat pattern came from, scroll down and check it out); you can always donate money, they'll always take money.  I know I've said it before but I love living in an international port, love it when the giant coal and cement freighters creep up the river to the docks so the bridges go up and traffic stops.  I have a dishcloth project that lives in my car door pocket for those occasions... hmm, maybe I should put a cowl project in there instead so I can knit for the seamen as they go by... yeah, I think I'll do that.  Good idea, Barbara!

February 28--Light Image Inc., Homage to Eliot Porter, No. 2.    Tara sat on the bank waiting for the river to come back.  Instead of cold, clear water colorful autumn leaves flowed on the wind tumbling down the rounded stones.  She remembered when they put up the dam so that they could build a new bridge.  She had watched as the water flowed away in an afternoon with small, deeper pockets shimmering in the weak spring sunshine.  All summer long she had visited this spot watching as little seeps kept just enough water for the raccoons and the white-tailed deer to drink.  Today they planned to blow the dam and let the river resume its journey to the lake.

I was disappointed that I didn't think of taking some scenery pictures on Friday when it was sunny but I kind of like the moody ones I took today.  Less postcard-y and more interesting, don't you think?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Definitely moody and interesting. All your pictures are always interesting and pretty too!
Sunny down here. Today I start my "week of bridge" -- playing today, tomorrow, Wednesday and finally, Thursday!!! Friday will be my "day off"!!!