Monday, March 16, 2015

A Done Thing

Yesterday afternoon just before our company came I finished the Black & Yellow Beanie.  I love the way it looks and I'm definitely going to see if I can't eke a Yellow & Black one out of the remaining yarn.  There should be a pair, fraternal twins if you will.

Our soup supper was a hit.  They brought homemade roasted garlic hummus with carrots and celery to dip in it.  Yum.  I had brought up both crockpots so each held a kind of soup, Durwood sliced the homemade bread, and I put out plenty of real butter.  For dessert the Hot Milk Cake was... okay.  It wasn't as fluffy as I'd hoped, more like pound cake, but it tasted good.  With 2 cups of sugar, 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of milk and 10 Tblsp. of butter it better taste good.  The berries were bright, shiny, with just the right amount of sweetness served alongside.  All in all, I'd say it was a good dinner.

Of course I stayed up too late last night after I'd washed the dishes (and stacked them to air dry, I don't hand dry dishes, never have, never will) then sat down to play with figuring out how to fill in the too-shallow opening of a purse I knitted years ago out of reclaimed sari silk yarn.  I love the purse but it's not deep enough to hold even a wallet securely so I thought I'd knit a dickey catching each side of the V opening.  My first attempt was way too wide so I ripped it out last night, balled the yarn back up and I'm taking another stab at it.  I think a lot of decreasing is the way to go to draw the sides in and fill in the gap.

This morning when I went downstairs to get TP and some meat to thaw for supper (4 drumsticks, let's see what magic Durwood can work with those) I unpinned the Oriole Wings Wrap and took it outside for a photo shoot.  I love it.  I'll be wearing it to work today and, most probably, every day this week.  It's everything I hoped it'd be and more.

I looked at the sky this morning and for the first time since sometime last Fall it looks like rain.  It's not too cold out there (44 degrees, supposed to go up toward 60) and there's no wind, it could rain.

Didn't write last night.  It was almost midnight when I went to bed so I just turned out the light and conked off.  Time for showering, etc.  It's a work day.  I think I'm going to drop this laptop off at Infinity on my way to work.  Last week some comedian in the Philippines tried to hack into my FB account and now the mouse/cursor is acting jumpy.  I don't like that.  I ran Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Webroot scans over the weekend and cleaned out some of the corners but Aaron's much better at it, and it's about time for laptop Spring cleaning anyway.  I take it in to him every year for updates and virus scanning.  It's cheap insurance against major problems, kind of like getting the car's oil changed.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

All your pictures today are wonderful. Love the beanie and especially the bag. Hope you can figure out how to make it the way you want it. And the Oriole Wrap!!! What a beauty!! What if you'd worked on it all that time and ended up not liking it. Nice that the weather's warmer so you can wear it right away.