Sunday, September 21, 2014

I Think My Brain's Turned Off

Or maybe the incessant blow of the furnace/ac fan is filling my ears and my head so that the sibilant sound of the air in the vents is all that registers.  Once again I turned everything off but the fan is merrily spinning, even after our emergency service call yesterday.  Grrr.  I will be so glad when we get the right chip installed and this foolish cooling/heating system and its attendant digital commander are right and settled.  Fixed, even, that'd be good, fixed.

I am amazed and horrified at the maple tree's precipitous lurch into Autumn.  There's barely a hint of green in the leaves, they're all red and orange and the canopy's thin.  Almost all the other trees in the neighborhood are stubbornly clinging  to their chlorophyll.  Good job, guys.  When I stood on the porch this morning to take pictures I heard a piercing cry and the local Cooper's hawk swooped into the branches of the maple but of course I could only see a piece of its belly and in just crouching down to get a better view I chased it off.  Drat.  So imagine a hawk sheltering its brown and white self in these garish leaves.

Did you realized that lilies of the valley make berries?  Me neither but look at the little orange ones nestled there among the leaves and ferns.  Trust me I got right down there to make sure the berries weren't from some intruder plant, nope, those are from the lilies of the valley.  Amazing.

Today I'll be whipping up another batch of French Onion Salisbury Steak (the most popular of my investment cooking meals) to portion out and freeze so that Durwood will be able to have some when I'm away next week.  Oh, yes, Durwood's feeling that much better and I get to go to The Clearing after all and I am so excited.  I might just spend part of today packing, or at least thinking about packing.  Maybe I'll start making a pile of things.  I could do that, yeah, I could.

I didn't write last night, I was tired and I couldn't stop hearing that blasted furnace fan, maybe I can block it out tonight.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Maybe your maple tree is just eager to show off those beautiful colors. So glad you're going to be able to go to The Clearing. And especially glad that D is feeling so much better. All those "investment meals" probably helped get him back to full strength. So yay for you -- and him, too, of course!!!