Saturday, October 2, 2021

Home Again

Home again, jiggity-jig-jig.  Today was going home day at The Clearing.  The worse news is that someone on the kitchen staff thought that we left yesterday so there was no supper for us last night and no breakfast today.  There was no one left in the kitchen last night so we ate the suppers meant for the small dorm whose inhabitants had left and another camper shared hers with me.  No one went hungry.

This morning we were packing and watching for our breakfast to arrive when it occurred to us that if they hadn't made supper for us no breakfast was coming.  So I went over to the kitchen where there were a couple staff people working and told them about the mistake.  Food and place settings came quickly.  There was a blueberry coffee cake thing that would have been improved by syrup (it was kinda dry), link sausage, and a bowl of pineapple and raspberries.  Like I said, no one goes hungry at The Clearing.



After a week of perfect sunny and cool weather, naturally it started to rain just as it was time to load up the cars and hit the road.  I hauled most of my things down to the car on Friday afternoon and evening so I only had my suitcase, yoga mat, and a small bag of miscellaneous stuff that didn't make it into the earlier packing.  It spit and sputtered rain for about half of my 2 hour drive home and was sunny and warm by the time I got here.


The Stella d'Oro lily in front of the bronze sedum was blooming today...



... and the orange day lily had one more flower in it.

 

 

 

 

One of the Black-eyed Susans is a late but an enthusiastic bloomer.  Lots of flowers on long stems over a small clump of leaves.



My roomie, cda, gave me a pair of earrings that she'd bought in the bookstore for me about 3 years ago and hadn't managed to get to me until this year.  They're little skeins of yarn!  Red yarn!  Can't wait to wear them.  Thanks, cda!



I spent the day emptying my luggage and putting things away.  I'm getting better at not taking everything I own for a week away.  The major part of my haulage is stuff for writing--a laptop, printer, a milk crate with manuscript, printer paper, dictionary, power strip, and office supplies in it, and a bag of notebook and pens for carrying to class.

Tomorrow I climb back onto the WW bandwagon.  Wish me luck.  This has been quite the week of non-WW eating.  I hope I can wrest my willpower to the fore and get back on track.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Maybe that departure rain marked "the end" to your wonderful week at The Clearing. Glad it waited until that last moment and that you had sunshine to welcome you home. And flowers! I know you'll get back on your WW routine but nice to have had those few days of indulgence -- even though the kitchen seemed to have said "the end" as well.