Saturday, February 1, 2020

Salad Day

 
 
The sun really did come out today.  For a while anyway.  Look at that shadow.





I was so pleased to see it that I made myself a masterpiece of a salad with what I had on hand.  I piled up romaine, baby spinach, a radish, half a baby cuke, carrot shreds, red bell pepper strips, teriyaki baked tofu, string cheese, and croutons, all dressed with light honey mustard dressing.  All that for a mere 8 WWblue points.  Yum.




While waiting for the rent to arrive I cast on another preemie hat, this one called Minie (as in Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe) with the end of a skein of the yarn I use for preemie hats.  When I finished it there was all of 2 yards of yarn left.  Whew.  This hat is so tiny it's inconceivable that a human baby could wear it.  A lemon fits in it.  That's small and it's not the smallest one I make.



01 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

It was a warm June Wednesday evening in Ashville.  The stars were shining, and the moon was bright as Detective Archibald’s car pulled in and parked in front of the darkened floral boutique.  There’s another car in the lot.  It was unoccupied.  There’s crime scene tape across the door into the boutique.  The detective got out of the car and went around to open the door for his companion.  Cecilia approached Blossoms with trepidation.  Even though Archibald told her about the scene over dinner, she couldn’t get the lurid rumors of decapitation, blood, and destruction out of her mind.  As they entered the boutique, she ran the “facts” she knew through her mind to reassure herself.  Archibald held the door for her.  The boutique was dimly lit and cool.  She heard the flower cooler compressors and the scuffling of feet from somewhere in the back.  Archibald took her arm and propelled her toward the back where the office was located.  Feet dragging, she crossed the tile floor toward the lighted office door on the left. 
Pausing in the doorway, Cecilia saw Lieutenant Graybow, Archibald’s partner, hands in pockets, studying the things on the top of the desk.  He looked up, frowning, at their arrival.  “Sorry to interrupt your date, Detective, but I wanted to ask you to look at this appointment book again.  The tech crew swears they left it just where it was when they got here.  See?  There’s no notation after Marlene Brownloe’s name for the night of the murder.” 
Cecilia reluctantly looked at the desk, expecting to see blood.  Relief flooded her when she saw it was empty of gore. 
Archibald stepped toward the desk, breaking the connection with Cecilia.   “Yeah, that’s what I saw that night too.  What are you driving at?”
“I was wondering if we might be able to find some evidence of a lover or a date to give us something to go on.”  They began to methodically examine the contents of the surface of the desk.   


I folded two full baskets of laundry today and put all of it away.  My sock and underwear drawers are extra full, over full even.  This is the first time in I don't know how long that essentially all of my clothes are clean.  I have a lot of socks.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your salad looks delicious and so healthy. I'm planning to make about four different snackie kind of things today and do nothing but eat junk in honor of Super Bowl. I don't care who wins so whichever team comes out on top will be my favorite. Glad to see that shadow in your backyard even though it's still cast on all that snow! Can't wait for you to get down here and hoping we have sunshine every day.