Sunday, February 9, 2020

A Snow Day

It snowed today.  All day.  No, really, it was snowing when I woke up (okay, so it was almost 9 o'clock) and it snowed continuously until just about 6 o'clock.  When I went out with the snowblower it looked like we got about 6 inches of snow.  It's nice, powdery snow, easy to move.  Of course, I had to run out of cough syrup today which meant I got to drive to Walgreens for more in the midst of the storm.  Good thing I learned to drive in the winter.



When I walked into the kitchen this morning I saw the amaryllis sprawled across the table.  It had finally gotten too top-heavy for its pot so I lopped off the leaves and threw the whole shebang into the trash.  (hey, I'm leaving in a day and it would have been cruel to let it dry out)  I measured before I tossed it and the longest leaf was 35"!




While waiting for the snow to stop falling I did some laundry, then knitted on the cast sock, getting to the toe decreases.  Seems like I should have be able to finish it but I get distracted.




09 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

“Len?  Did you uncover anything about Tiffy meeting a lover?  I hate to bring it up, but I hope you find him.  Tiffy talked on and on about someone.  I wish she’d said a name.”
“We went back to Blossoms the other night and went through everything on her desk.  Didn’t find a thing.  Are you certain she mentioned someone?"
“Yes.  I was shocked that she’d say something like that to me.  I thought she and Dirk were the perfect couple.  She talked about Dirk incessantly, even in that last article in the paper I read about her.  But that night, last Monday, she went on and on about this person she was expecting after I left.  She was really excited about it.  Unfortunately, she didn’t mention a name, but I can’t imagine she’d be so excited about a woman showing up.  You have to find out who he is.  Maybe he’s the murderer.  I’m afraid thinking a murderer is running around here loose.”
“You don’t have to be afraid.  I’ll keep you safe.”
“Will you?”  She looked up at him, tears in her eyes.  “Will you keep me safe tonight, Len?  Will you stay with me?”
“Of course I will, Marlene.  I’ll keep you safe.”  He lowered his head to kiss her gently.  “You don’t have to be afraid while I’m around.”


I'm keeping an ear out for the snow plow.  Now that I've got the driveway cleared he'll be by to make a nice drift across the base of it.  If he comes in the next half hour I'll go out and clear it off, otherwise it'll be morning.  And hopefully the renter will do as I asked and use the spare garage door opener to get the snowblower before he goes to work.  Fingers crossed.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

More snow? No!! If this turns out to be a repeat of last year I'm going to write a letter of complaint to Mother Nature. It's supposed to be in the eighties here this week. So glad you can drive in the snow. Wonder Woman for sure. That amazing amaryllis just grew too big for it's pot. But time to let it go.