Monday, February 3, 2020

Ms. Fixit

That was me today.  After my morning chiropractor appointment I stopped at Home Depot for lamp guts and one of those tiny springs that helps your storm door shut when it's windy.  I got the lamp parts, no problem, but had to buy a whole new wind chain assembly (for $4.85, not a bank-breaker).  When I got home I decided to fix the door first so I got out the battery powered screwdriver and got to work.  Everything came off nicely but when I went to install the new stuff the screw holes didn't line up.  Arrrgh.  I glared at it for a few minutes then reinstalled the old one, adding the tiny spring part to the old assembly.  Works just fine.




Then I went to lunch with part of the St. Agnes Grade School Class of 1965.  I ordered pork sliders off the "Taste of Tailgating" menu.  When it came I had to stifle a laugh because the two little round buns side by side reminded me of a pair of boobs, with a side of fries.  It's hard to eat BBQ pulled pork when you're giggling, but I managed.





After lunch and another errand I came back to see if I couldn't fix one of the table lamps in the living room.  The harp was loose and the socket was loose too so if you bumped it just right the light bulb flopped over and the shade hung cock-eyed.  The cleaning lady was afraid to dust the lamp.  Something needed to be done.  I bought new everything but managed to use the threaded rod and wires already there, with the new socket and harp.  The harp's still a little wobbly but the socket seems solid.  Fingers crossed.



My other errand was to the Woodworker's Depot for dust masks.  I commented at lunch that I planned to find a mask to wear when I fly next week since there are corona virus patients in Chicago and I have a layover there, but good masks are hard to find right now.  Another of the diners suggested I try the woodworking store because they use masks and might not be out.  Score!  Even better, the clerk in the store is a non-practicing physician who said that the N95 masks I bought are the same as surgical masks.  Double score!  And they have a vent so my glasses won't fog up.  Worth every penny of the $15.


03 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

“What do you mean?” asked Archibald.
Cecilia waved her arms, encompassing the untidy desk.  “Well, if I were expecting a lover, I’d be sure to clean up the desk in preparation for his arrival.  A woman wants to look her best for the man she loves.  Look at all this junk!  She’s got stuff all over it.  And if everything on the desk is just as it was found when her body was discovered, there’s still a pad with her ideas and sketches on it in front of where I’d guess she was when she was murdered. Although I’d guess she pushed things forward on the desk when she died, right?” 
“Right,” answered Graybow. 
 “You’d think she’d tidy up in preparation for his arrival.” Looking around the room, she added, “And anyway where would they, umm, you know?  There’s no place I’ve seen in here that would be comfortable enough for a tryst.  Or maybe I’m just getting old.”  
Smiling slightly Graybow replied, “Yeah, that’s what we wondered too.  Maybe they had plans to go somewhere else.”       
Archibald volunteered, “When her husband found the body it was slumped over the desk, still in the chair.  She must have been killed instantly according to the doc, because there was very little blood.  Only a bit on the back of her neck.  None on the desk at all.”
Cecilia looked at the desk imagining the scene.  She pictured Tiffy slumped over, looking like she was asleep.  “Was she still holding something to write with?” 
Checking with Archibald and receiving a nod, Graybow replied, “No, but this pencil was nearby.  We figure it rolled out of her had when she died.”
 “Did Dirk say anything was stolen?” Cecilia asked. 
 “Not that he was aware of.  And according to the two women who work here, there’s nothing out of place or missing.”      
“What about that derelict I heard mentioned?  Was he any help?” 
“Yeah, some,” said Archibald, drawing Cecilia’s gaze to him.   “Edwards said he saw Marlene Brownloe leave at about 9:20 p.m. and then went back to rummaging out back.  He says he didn’t hear or see anything else until he heard Dirk Davis screaming into the phone about midnight.” 
“Edwards?  You mean Kenneth Edwards?” she asked, surprised that she knows yet another character in the drama.   “I know him.  I see him every once in a while, at the bookstore sorting through the $1 paperbacks.  I think he likes those complicated Tom Clancy adventure books.  He seems like a nice man, but I wonder what happened to get him in such a situation.  He seems educated and well-mannered.  And he’s always wearing such nicely shined shoes.”
 Graybow answered, “He got downsized out of his corporate security job a few years ago, had a business fail, and took up drinking as a hobby.  Lost his marriage, house, everything and just took to the streets.  Swears he’s working at that shelter downtown.  I’ll have to talk to that woman who runs the place.  What’s her name?  Teddy something?  See if she knows anything about him.”
“Allgood.  Her last name is Allgood.  She’s doing a really good job down there.  You might talk to her anyway.  She and Tiffy were good friends.  I think since high school.”  Cecilia had just drawn a breath to continue her questioning of Lt. Graybow when Det. Archibald cleared his throat.  He grasped Cecilia’s elbow and began steering her out of the office.  “You need me for anything else, Graybow?  I’d better get this little lady home.  It’s getting late.”
 Initially miffed at this high-handed tactic to remove her from the crime scene, Cecilia allowed Archibald to usher her to his car and take her home.  But her mind was racing with the things she’d seen and heard throughout the evening.  Sleep was long in coming.


In cool bird news, I was thrilled to see a Cardinal taking a bath this morning.  A Cardinal!  I rarely see them get a drink and don't think I've ever seen one bathing.  With a pair of sparrows, no less.  Cardinals are usually skittish to the max and fly away at the first flutter of another feather.  He must have felt extra dirty today.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That "fix-it" gene runs in our family. While you were at work in your home yesterday, I was touching up a nicked spot on the wall in this bedroom. It took soooo long to pry open the paint can that I nearly gave up. But undaunted I carried on and now you can't see where the rocking chair bumped up against the wall. Gotta have this part of the house all spiffy for my VIP guest coming a week from today! So glad to see that cardinal at the birdbath. And to see the boob shot of those sliders. Sounded like a good day.