Tuesday, July 9, 2019

That Explains It

I read in today's newspaper that smoke from Canadian wildfires has drifted down this way and is responsible for the haze that we've had the last few days, and explains why the sun looked like a penny in the sky yesterday.  In related sky news, tonight's sunset was pretty darned gorgeous.  I waited until 8 o'clock to go out to mow the front yard (so it'd be cooler) and the parts of the side yard that I can reach without mowing a hose in half or cutting the baby grass and had to come in to grab my phone when I rounded the neighbor's fir tree and the setting sun smacked me in the eyes.





The flowers in the corner of the garden and happily blooming.  I'd like to go out there to take some closeups but I tend to think of it just as I'm turning off the watering hoses and the ground is wet and squishy.  Not going to ruin the baby grass.  Not yet anyway.


 



Because the purple leaf photo yesterday was so terrible I put my hand under a leaf and took its picture.  That's better.  I still don't know what it is but I like it.  A lot.  I can't wait until it gets big.





Here's the July Seaman's Cowl start.  It's about an inch long, on its way to 6-7".  I'm kind of stymied on the first heel of the Afterthought Socks.  I have a lot fewer stitches than the pattern calls for because I'm using different yarn and bigger needles and because I cast on a pattern that I know works for me but that pattern has a regular flap heel.  Not the afterthought, same-as-a-toe heel in the Afterthought Everything Socks.  But!  I have Mason-Dixon Knitting's Field Guide #11 which is all about making socks (and has a short-row heel, kind of a cousin to the afterthought heel) so I can use those numbers to figure out my heel.  Sorry if that made no sense, writing it down helps me get it straight in my head.

I had an assistant today!  We made Rice Krispie Treats, added sprinkles, and used heart and apple cookie cutters to make nice shapes.  Naturally we didn't throw away the "nibble pieces" but we didn't chomp them down right away either.  We played games and then went to two playgrounds in the afternoon.

09 July--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

David and I bundled up against the cold and carried mugs of hot chocolate with us when we went out to watch the sunset from my porch.  We were both in much better spirits, having gotten two uninterrupted nights of sleep.
            “Mmm, this is great, Grandma.  Can you make a mark for Elizabeth on the railing?”
            “I don’t know, honey.  I’m afraid the paint might freeze.”
            His little forehead frowned in thought.  “But we need to make a mark for her.  Do you think a black marker would work?”
            “That’s a great idea.”  I put my mug on the railing.  “I have a brand new one in the desk.  I’ll grab it and we can try.”
            And that’s what we did.  David’s idea worked perfectly and I asked him to print “Welcome Elizabeth” on the slat below the sunset stripe for December 19.
            The next day was Sunday and we dressed in our Christmas best for church.  I had stopped going to the Fellowship Hour after Mass since Thanksgiving when Abel Baker had made such a pest of himself.  But I was determined that David and I would go today and enjoy ourselves.  The church looked beautiful with its Christmas decorations and the old Nativity scene in front of the side altar.  All the students from the parish school sang the hymns and their voices sounded like angels.  I had tears in my eyes when we all joined them to sing Silent Night.
            It took a long time for the entire congregation to leave the sanctuary and make their way downstairs for Fellowship.  Sister Terese stood behind the coffee pot, as usual, and David told her all about his new baby sister and showed her the crumpled snapshot he carried in his pocket.  Sister told him Elizabeth was the prettiest baby she’d seen in a long time and David beamed.  The crowd thinned fairly quickly and we sat at a long table with Clara, Hank, Miss Simmons and Ella, and a few other parishioners in no hurry to leave.  David finished his milk and cookies and made his way from table to table showing off Elizabeth’s picture.  At each one he’d say, “This is my new baby sister, Elizabeth.  Don’t you think she’s pretty?”  Everyone agreed that he had a very pretty sister.  When he reached the table behind me, I heard him say, “Merry Christmas, Mr. Baker.  See my sister Elizabeth?  Isn’t she pretty?”
            And Abel said, “She sure is.  Nearly as pretty as your grandma.” 
            I could feel my face redden and Clara’s eyebrows nearly wriggled right off her face.  She leaned toward me and whispered, “I guess I owe you another apology for my remarks at Wal-Mart, Gail.  Sounds like Abel has a big crush on you after all.”
            David came up behind me and leaned on my shoulder.  “Are you ready to go, Grandma?  This shirt’s awful scratchy.”
            I put my arm around him.  “Okay, I’m ready.”  We wished everyone at the table a Merry Christmas and turned to leave.  Abel stood in my path saying, “Merry Christmas, Mrs. Logan.  You too, young David.  Will I see you at Midnight Mass?”
            “No, Mr. Baker, I won’t be here.  I promised to take David back home on Christmas Eve so Santa will be able to find him.  You have a happy holiday.”
            As David and I walked to the car he looked up at me and said, “I think Mr. Baker likes you, Grandma.”
            I sighed and said, “I think he does too, honey.”




It's very amusing to show a 5 year old how to use your digital camera and then let her loose.  I have an interesting group of photos.  Many of them aren't half bad.  Haircut tomorrow.  Hooray!  I'm feeling shaggy.  Today is my wonderful Aunt B's birthday.  Happy birthday, Aunt B!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That five year old takes after her MeeMaw in the photography department. Really a cute shot of you. The flowers look particularly beautiful with the retaining wall in the background. Hope you can figure out that heel problem with the amazing sock effort. Your description of the way to do it sounded very complicated but using different yarn and needles had to cause the old "same thing, only different" situation! Thanks for thinking of me on my BD!