Friday, July 19, 2019

Rejoining Humanity

Today I felt like I'm a whole lot closer to myself than I have been for the last month.  Better living through chemistry.  Thank god.

This morning I went for coffee with one of the Class of 1965 guys who lost his wife a couple years ago.  He'd tried to ask how I'm doing a few times at the group lunch but there's usually a lot of joking around and talking over one another so it's hard for us to have more than a moment's conversation.  He called the other day and we agreed to meet at Perkins' today.  It was nice; he talked about his wife and how much she meant to him, I talked about Don and how I couldn't have married anyone better.  We each agreed that neither of us is looking to take applications for a replacement but it sure was nice to have someone to talk to that doesn't roll their eyes when the "I miss my person" conversation enters its second hour.  We'll do it again.  On my way I snapped a quick picture of the skeleton of the Arena.  It's been the site of concerts, the circus, sports events, and high school graduations for over 50 years but it's too expensive to fix so down it comes and a new one will rise in its place.  I saw Doc Severinson there, Sha Na Na, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters (who was the all-time best), B.B. King, Maynard Ferguson--those are just the ones I can think of right now.  

We are having one whale of a thunderstorm.  It's rumbling all around, there's lightning flashing, wind and rain too.  Maybe the storm will blow the humidity east.  I don't mind heat so much as the feeling that you've walked into a wall of water when you open the door.  Ugh.  This is why I never want to live in Florida. (I love you, Aunt B!  You too, Cousin N!)


This afternoon I spent time crawling around on the floor cutting out a couple Dresses no. 1.  That pink Shirt no. 1 refashion of a Caribbean caftan-thing wasn't as successful as I'd hoped so I found a soft white-on-white striped sheet at Goodwill that I cut to make a Dress no. 1 (which is like a jumper) that I plan to sew to the pink top at the shoulders.  I opened the side seams of the pink Shirt and I'm not sure if I'll add a gusset or just turn the raw edge under and let it float over the top.  The blue jean fabric is for another Dress no. 1.  I have a black denim one that I wear quite a bit, besides I need another solid color one because I've bought striped and printed knits to make long-sleeved tees for winter.  I still haven't let go of the idea of making another swimsuit.  I brought up some fabric today but there isn't enough to do what I want.  Gotta keep digging in the stash.




Last night was the monthly Knitting Guild meeting.  We usually meet and knit in a downtown park, but since it was sooooo hot and sooooooo muggy one of the members offered her home as a place to knit.  Eight of us took her up on her invitation and as I parked in front of her lovely home two turkeys strolled away into the woods.  Nature!






I added rounds to the Welcome Beanie tonight at Friday Night Knitting.  Only six more rounds to go until time to decrease.  I love the colors of this yarn.




When I got home I glanced at my Bullet Journal and realized that I had sheets in the washer that needed to be put into the dryer and I'd made a note to whip up a batch of WW granola because I'm down to barely enough for tomorrow's breakfast. It only takes about 40 minutes from start to finish so I got busy and got it made.  This batch has almonds, dried figs snipped small, and dried blueberries.  It smells great.  Next batch I'm thinking I'll add some flax seed meal to amp up the fiber, also so the bag of the stuff that I bought (for a recipe that called for four tablespoons) last month doesn't go bad.

19 July--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

            Spring was fighting its way through winter very slowly this year.  Here it was the end of April and there were still piles of dirty gray snow in the shadowy places and what should have been warm rain showed up as ice storms.  My yard was littered with broken branches, which would be a pain to pick up, and even my daffodils on the north side of the house were barely peeking out.  What we needed was one day of sunshine and everything would just pop.
I noticed in the latest Kingman Times that brave souls were starting to have rummage sales.  I had so many unframed paintings stacked around the house I thought maybe I could find some cheap frames at them.  I had learned that I was a better judge of my work when I saw each painting framed.
I called Clara to see if she'd be interested in launching a campaign to find some.  "Sure, I'd love to go rummaging with you, Gail."
           We met for coffee at my place early the next morning with the Times and a county map.  Clara brought over pieces of her delicious cinnamon-brown sugar cake and we plotted our plan of attack.  There were an even dozen listed with a huge variety of wares advertised.  A couple of them even listed frames.  It wasn't the prettiest spring day; in fact it was overcast, chilly, and drizzly but I figured that might help me negotiate the prices a bit lower.
Off we went in Clara's ancient station wagon that had served so well ferrying seven kids to and from Scouts, basketball, choir, and a million other activities.  What was even more amazing was that it had survived seven kids learning to drive.  The paint had faded to a pale shadow of its original dark teal decorated with what looked like a rust lace skirt.  But it still ran and there was plenty of room in back for frames of almost every size.
The first few sales we stopped at were mobbed.  I guess everyone was as sick of the lingering crummy weather as we were.  Each stop yielded a few frames, some with the most god-awful art in them imaginable.  The worst were the pitiful daubs of Lorene Lewis' daughter, Ruth, who had spent the last fifteen years proving that if you don't have talent for painting, you can't learn it.  But I could use the frames.
            We hit the mother lode at Kendall's farm.  Old man Kendall had made wooden furniture as a hobby and he had a barn full of the most beautiful handmade frames.  His daughter-in-law, Sheila, was running the sale and let me have the lot, over 50 frames in every size, for only one hundred bucks.
Years of shopping together gave us the skills to cram them all in back, although I had to hold the big copper boiler Clara had bought as a planter in my lap.  We drove off before Sheila realized how cheaply she'd sold them to me for.
"Gail, I can't believe how lucky we were to ask about frames.  I could have just died when she pulled open that shed door and there stood all these frames."
            "I know.  It was hard to keep a straight face when I asked if she'd take a hundred dollars for the entire lot.  And then not to jump around like a crazy woman when she said yes."



How do you know that I'm back to feeling normal?  It's 11:30 and I'm still up.  Sad-me goes to bed earlier.  I'm going to hurry up, slap on a piece of Horizon and hit the sack.  Nighty-night.
--Barbara

No comments: