Monday, July 15, 2019

Just This

All I have to show you today is the July Seaman's Cowl progress.  


I've fallen down the rabbit hole of depression lately.  I went to the doc this morning for some help so I have hope for feeling better soon.  I kept going for a walk, went to the Y, knitted and sewed, and did a little writing but felt like I was wading in molasses.  I'll be glad when the new med kicks in.

15 July--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

March

            Early in the month, I got an interesting catalog in the mail.  It was from The Clearing, a folk school in a tiny town on the tip of Door County.  It was addressed to me personally, not to occupant or resident.  I didn't know how or why it was sent to me.  But I took the time to page through it because when I looked at where it was located I was surprised.
Door County was special to me.  Once a summer Bert would hire one of Clara's boys to mind the farm for a couple of days and we would find a motel room to run away for a day or two.  We'd take long walks in the state parks or stroll along the lake or bay and, of course, find a perfect spot on a rocky beach to watch the sunset.  Once we took a picnic to Garrett Bay, just up the road from The Clearing, and planned to make a bonfire but the flies there were such vicious biters they drove us away.  We ended up back in our room where Bert made a fire in the fireplace (we'd splurged that year on a suite) and we made love on the rug.  It was one of my best memories of Bert.
          We must have driven by the place numerous times, but never realized that it was there.  I'd never heard of The Clearing but reading the catalog I was enthralled at the range of classes they offered; woodcarving, both prose and poetry writing, quilting, literature, building furniture, bird-watching, yoga, painting watercolors and oils, and many other arts and crafts; I was especially intrigued by the watercolor classes.  The one taught by Laurel Andrews caught my eye in particular.  Since I seemed to be having a lot of luck rushing headlong into things, I checked the dates of the class, the cost and the registration dates.  Before I changed my mind I cut out the registration form, filled it in, wrote out a check and put it right back in the mailbox.



Sorry that today's post is so sparse but this is all I have.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh my goodness. Too sad to see this short offering this morning. Maybe you need a weekend at The Clearing just like Gail. Sending you positive thoughts and love.