Friday, September 25, 2009

The Road To Hell...

is paved with good intentions. And I had every intention of logging onto the blog last night after writer's and posting one of the writing exercises we did. But I got snagged watching the new episodes of Bones and CSI that I had taped and I didn't. So I'm probably on the express path to the place where everyone's in the fire and you're issued a pitchfork when you arrive. At least I won't be lonely...

Here's the art prompt from yesterday. I'll post today's later after I get some novel-ing done.
September 24--Carl Larsson, The Apple Harvest. Louisa and baby Mae were in the orchard with Minna and their cousins. It was fall and the apples were ready to be picked. The big cousins and Minna had ladders to climb to reach the fruit growing up in the tops of the trees but Louisa and Mae were too small for ladders, they said, so the two of them were in charge of picking up the windfalls, checking for rotten places, and putting the good ones into baskets. At first Minna said they should just put their apples into any handy basket but they wanted to be able to point out their work to Grandpa and Dad, so they had their own baskets. More than one, too, because they had been working hard. Already they had filled one and were more than halfway done filling the second. "We'll have applesauce way past Christmas," Louisa said to Mae. The littlest sister's apron pockets were lumpy with apples. "And apple butter for Easter," Mae said, emptying her pockets one apple at a time.

Mmm, applesauce. I might have to go gather me some windfalls myself, if the squirrels have left me any.
--Barbara

No comments: