Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Post #999!

Woohoo! I rock. I'd say, we rock but nobody else is posting these days. Oh well. Today's my birthday, #58, and I don't have to work so Durwood and I are going to the zoo so I can feed the giraffes and pet the zebu. Bet you wish it was your birthday too.

September 1--Grant Wood, Stone City, Iowa. Ann leaned her forehead on the cold, thick, Plexiglas window of the plane and looked at the ground far below. She thought it looked like a model train setup or a really good topographical map. From his high up nothing down there looked really real. It all looked clean, quiet, and well-organized. Nothing in her life right now was any of those things. She yearned for a couple days, just two and they didn't even have to be a weekend, where she could catch up. She would do the laundry, cook some casseroles or maybe a meatloaf so she'd have real food to eat, and she would sleep. She'd turn off her phones, all of them, pull down the shades and sleep, really sleep. Maybe she should quit her job and move down there to the "great in-between" where the landscape looked friendly and the people moved slowly.

I'm off to make a ham sandwich and then go feed crackers to the giraffes.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Ann said...

Zebu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQXa9SgrtE

Barbara said...

Oh, I wish I'd known that song yesterday. Forest Hump, the zebu at the zoo, was grazing away and wouldn't even look at us. Thanks for the giggle, Ann.