Saturday, June 6, 2009

Loving My Weekends

I took Friday off and Monday off for a well deserved break from the madness of day to day life. There is nothing like having a few days to do what you want, when you want, how you want with no demands on yourself.

So I've created some greeting cards, booked an entire of cropping (scrapbooking) to get my nephew's birthday presents underway and of course get some writing done. This is my new 21 days to form a habit since I have the vegetarian thing down.

Loved the violin piece Barbara....Leo struck me as a passionate man toward music until the very end, then he became a perv...nicely done!

I found a new website for writing prompts as the Writer's Book of Days just isn't doing it for me lately.... www.writingfix.com/classroom_tools/dailypromptgenerator.htm

today's prompt is

Who Gave You a Bad Piece of Advice....Write About it

My father is a very smart man, at least that's what he thinks. Once he opens his mouth; not so much. His voice booms loudly through a room full of people, but he mostly talks out of his ass. They say a parent will always guide their child through life, but they never tell you that sometimes the advice you receive teaches you how to undo the damage the advice has caused. I've learned that lesson well.

My father is an expert in law, politics, business, race relations, religious conflicts, golf, history, finances, recyling and any other topic de jour that strikes his fancy. I've learned to craft the art of listening to him ramble, nodding my head, uttering "oh really" at just the right moment. Most of the time, I'm thinking about whether I turned off the iron before I left the house.

There are topics we don't discuss in order to keep the peace. He has come to realize that his daughter is a fighter and won't back down to him. Feeling torn between respect and frustration toward me, my father retreats to his den where he is Master of his Domain.

No comments: