Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gloves!

Ann was home the last few days and it was absolutely fantastic to have another knitter in the house. We had a whirlwind 2 days trolling all the yarn shops in town and digging through my stash of yarn and patterns. Our Christmas gift stashes are now full to overflowing with ideas and nice wool yarn we'd never have bought if it hadn't been on clearance. We love clearance bins! I had gotten some Lion Brand Cashmere Blend when Ben Franklin went out of business but wasn't sure what I'd make with it. Then I bought One Skein with my Jo-Ann's coupon, paged through it and I knew.

Gloves.

Gloves with a cabled c
uff and real fingers. I had never used dpns before but Ann has made socks so I figured she could teach me. We will draw a veil over the awkward beginning of my adventure with dpns, and I'm still not at all sure I could start a project on my own, but suffice to say that Ann's patience is limitless. By the end of Friday's knitting we had a cuff, hand & thumb gusset. I have a few, let's just call them, freeform areas in my honeycomb cables, but as my grandpa used to say, a man running for his life will never notice. We spent Saturday, off and on, knitting tiny little tubes, one by one, and by bedtime on Saturday we each had one glove! Too cool. So much fun sitting knitting, talking, and laughing with my daughter. We did good.

3 comments:

Abby&David said...

That is very cool. I can't believe that you two made gloves. I'm glad you had fun hanging out this weekend.
Love,
David

Ann said...

I had a fantastic time with you and Dad! I'm so glad we found time to knit gloves. You're too hard on yourself--your cast-on for the second one was perfect. It just takes a little time to learn a new technique!

I can't wait to see you guys again at Christmas!

Love,
Ann

Barbara said...

Despite cramps of uncertainty I managed to get through the second cuff with no Moroccan arches in the cables. And I didn't have to get into the second skein, so we can infer that it takes one skein to make one glove. I'm so glad we found time to knit gloves too; I'd never have attempted it on my own. You made me brave.

Love, Mom