Friday, October 26, 2007

Feeding Polyps

Jenny, I really enjoyed your lesson and the exercise last night. I will definitely be taking my notebook along this weekend so I can work on that little piece of craziness some more. For now, here's my prompt/picture writing from last night.

Looking for all the world like the eight-fingered hands of alien babies, the polyps of the soft coral reach out and grasp plankton as it cruises by on the night current. The unlucky little morsel is passed down the row of hands until it is unceremoniously dumped into the rudimentary mouth which makes up the center of the plant-like creature. I hover in the dark water, the feeble beam of my flashlight unable to compete with the blue-white of the full moon, which is the cause of all this gluttonous frenzy. A few nights ago all was peaceful on the reef, just the slow languorous movement of the rocking chair crowd on a country store porch. The pull of the moon ramped up the energy. Every creature within the glow of the lights is making every minute of moonshine count.

Remember I will not be posting for the next couple days, but I'll be sure and catch you up when I get home Sunday afternoon. Have a good weekend, and keep writing!

--Barbara

No comments: