Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hats--an innocent beginning



Before Christmas, I decided that I should crochet hats for my daughter and future daughter-in-law to match the mismatched gloves I was giving them for Christmas. I bought a few skeins of yarn and a hook, resurrected an old very-easy hat pattern, and got hooking. I really enjoyed making them. I realized that if his sister and fiancee got homemade hats, my son would want one too, so I made one for him. Then making hats for the other three members of my writing group would be fun and economical, which led to the decision to make one for my boss and her husband. *pant, pant* I barely got them all done before the December 24th deadline.

After Christmas, my daughter asked me to teach her how to make hats, and my husband, who is always cold, said he wouldn't mind having a wool hat. Time to buy more yarn. Did you know there are big yarn sales around the holidays? We brought home much more yarn than we needed to make a hat or two. An online search yielded a bunch of simple patterns for shawls, afghans, and mittens. An addiction had been rekindled--and I'd passed it on to my daughter.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Mom!
~Ann

bookie said...

Thanks, Ann! I feel all cool and hope to hear from other "hookers" too.
--Mom