Monday, June 11, 2007

Always remember--weave in tails as you go!


My crocheting got interrupted after the holidays by a month-long Caribbean vacation. I didn't take my yarn and hooks, but did take my smokes. I imagined that I'd be so relaxed and productive writing on Bonaire that I'd smoke less. Wrong! I ended up buying packs of horrible-tasting cigs whenever I needed more, saving my last pack of American ones for the trip home. I had to face it, I was an addict and needed help.

Help came in the form of info from our daughter, Ann, who quit with the help of a new drug, Chantix, which removes the cravings and withdrawl. You can continue to smoke while taking it (without poisoning yourself like with the patch) and kind of wean yourself away from the habit cigs, the ones you light almost without thinking. (For me, that was those first thing in the morning ones.) I kept smoking through some husband-ly health problems, still crocheting. My most satisfying project during those months was finally putting together some woven & crocheted blocks I had made as a teen. I found them in the basement, couldn't believe I still had them, and spent a week weaving in tails and crocheting them together, then weaving in more tails.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I know I've said it before, but I really like this. I'm hoping for a somewhat similar effect with my new hexagonal afghan project, but I'm sure I won't capture it exactly. Oh, well!
~A

bookie said...

Are you using a variety of yarns for the centers, then edging in black, charcoal or gray? That's what I did, then put it all together with sc in black. It's really a scrap afghan--Grandma's scraps. I sorta wish I'd saved that loom thing when we moved. Oh well, indeed. Can't wait to see your hexagons!

Ann said...

I'm not edging them in a contrasting color at all, which is why it won't be the same! I think I might have enough black to go around them again, though, and then I can use the black to sew it up. Ooh, good idea! You're so smart.