Sunday, January 13, 2019

Darn 5:30 A.M.

I woke up for a bathroom trip this morning at 5:30, looked at the clock, and my mind turned on so I couldn't get back to sleep.  I tried for nearly an hour and finally gave up and got up.  Grr.



It was a gray and dreary day.  Off I went to the Y just before lunch (thereby neglecting to eat lunch), tried to work through my new program, and came to the conclusion that I need to schedule a few sessions with the trainer to get it set in my head.  Also she'd said I'd find some things I need to do some of the exercises, like a stretch band, but not only didn't I find any in the area she waved toward, I couldn't see what to use to hook it on.  I need more info.  I'll call tomorrow.


This afternoon's recipe, the last one, was disappointing.  I had a bunch of kale left so I chopped it up and added it to the veggie and farro stew which it promptly overtook, flavor-wise.  There aren't many herbs or spices in this recipe and the other flavors are more subtle.  Kale was a mistake, as it often is.  Luckily I had most of the ingredients on hand so if I do end up dumping it I won't have wasted much money, or more precisely, fresh money.  I hate throwing food away but if I won't eat it it'd just rot so out it goes.  *sigh*

 


Last night I cast on the next January Preemie Hat...



 
...and this afternoon cast on the one after that.  This one is a micro preemie hat and I'm making it white so that if a tiny baby doesn't make it, it'll have a nice, soft hat to wear when its Mama and Daddy tell it hello and goodbye.  (sorry)





13 January--Tropical Obsession. 

Emilia sat on the steps painted lilac and turquoise ready to cry. She had been bathed and lotioned, combed and dressed to within an inch of her life. She was too young to understand why it was so important, but even someone not quite two years old got the message that today was special and she needed to hold still. Mama had put on her best dress too and sprayed herself with something that to Emilia smelled like bad things were happening. "This is your daddy's favorite perfume," Mama said, leaning down to spritz some on Emilia. Once Mama fixed her hair just right, the two of them walked downtown. "Daddy will love you," Mama kept saying as they walked up and down the three blocks of the town center. "He will be proud of how pretty you are," Mama said as they walked through the pink mall without stopping for ice cream. Four times they walked up and down, Mama keeping her eye on the big clock on the post in front of the jewelry store. The sun was hot, Mama's grip on her hand tightened with every passing minute, and Emilia's feet were sore in her new blue sandals. Emilia looked at every man, hoping the next one would be the daddy-man, but Mama didn't smile at any of them. Finally Mama sat her down on the lilac step in the shade and went inside the shop to visit Auntie Vita. Maybe Auntie Vita knew where the daddy-man was. Maybe she would dry Mama's tears.


And that's it.  Getting up so darned early and then working out just took it outta me today.  I'm going to slap some photos on here and call it a night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Every recipe isn't a keeper. I've got a big pot of meatball and tortellini soup sitting in the refrig ready to be dumped today. Didn't pass muster with Paul. Many things don't. It used to irk me but now I just let it go. At least Jeff ate some when he was here. Finishing up the tidying up today to be ready for more family this week.