Sunday, January 21, 2018

What You Do When Your "Bad Companion" is 4 Yrs. Old & 42" Tall...

... you climb eleventy-billion steps (concrete with handrails) up the side of Ariens Hill in the Green Bay Packers' new Titletown District and pay $3/person to slide down an enormous hill on an inner tube that looked about the size of the inflatable donut I sat on after giving birth.  The guy that pushed me put a little English into his shove so I flew down the hill doing 360s and whooping like a crazy person.  I never thought I'd do something like that--and I can't wait to do it again.  Just because the playground is locked for the winter so no kid gets hurt slipping on snow or ice I somehow found myself at the top getting ready to go.  I couldn't let a confident 4 year old be braver than me, could I?  But I am not putting on ice skates.  Her parents can do that.





Last night's supper was just as good as the picture in the cookbook looked.  Chicken with Fresh Tomato-Balsamic Sauce is a definite keeper.  I even had capers on hand.  That's a sign of... something.  I guess that it was meant to be.






A friend and I were playing with the sled in the front yard this afternoon when I noticed that the setting sun was shining through the plumes of the pampas-type grass planted around the power pole.  It was more glowy than it looks here but I think this is a nice perspective.


 
This flock of mourning doves come for breakfast every morning.  Usually as I reach for my camera a squirrel comes to chase them away.  Today I managed to snap this right before the marauding squirrel arrived.


January 21--Traditional Architecture Detail.  On the lintel over the window with the wooden shutters was an accent that looked like a crown.  The house was painted a subdued yellow-orange and the shutters, trim, and crown were all bright white.  Pearl could see how much care the builders took to make the house just right.  The windows were square, the corners of the frame were precisely mitered to fit together.

That's when I fell asleep.  I was thinking at supper that losing the about 18# I have lost in the last couple months has made a huge difference in how I feel.  My legs were burning by the time we got to the top of that tubing hill but I wasn't too out of breath and spending an hour this afternoon tromping around in the snow dragging someone around in a sled and up and down the sloping yard wasn't hard to do either.  Every day this losing weight thing seems like a better and better idea.  I can do it one more day, one day at a time.  Speaking of tired, I'm bushed.  
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are brave to do the tubing thing on that big, long hill. If you have to have all that snow, might as well enjoy it. And your "bad companion" certainly helped. Sounded like fun. Pretty shot through that pampas grass (or whatever it is).