Monday, August 18, 2008

Revisiting an Old Addiction

No, no, not that! Fingerless mitts, that's what I'm talking about.


I moved all my yarn stuff downstairs on Friday when I realized that there was so much in the corner of the bedroom I couldn't open my dresser drawers. Oops. So while Durwood was off doing errands I hauled it down to the basement--and arranged it so it doesn't look like the mountain of yarn it really is. Clever me! But the downside of being all neat and organized is that I got a look at things that had, shall we say, fallen through the cracks. Desires were rekindled and queues reordered. Hmm, can you say startisis?
I cast on a pair of Forbidden Love mitts (scroll down) for my friend Laurel (I halved the number of rows between decrease rows [first 4 post-decrease sections] until I got to 33 stitches, then continued as written to make them easier to wear with long sleeves) and dug out some JoAnn's Marvel to crochet into a felted bag for Mom to carry in the grocery when she only wants to take her wallet--so she doesn't leave it in the boodle basket like she did last week and have to cancel all her credit cards and have a hissy fit with which I totally sympathize. I thought about using some other JoAnn's yarn (Fanatic, maybe? It's discontinued I'm sure because it's nowhere on the JoAnn's site) but the slubs, nobules, whatever kept getting caught and wouldn't go through the loop on the hook. I used an N hook and I was crocheting so tight it looked prefelted, so I ripped it out, twice, and finally crocheted it with a Q hook to get what I was looking for. For the mitts I used black Wool-Ease worsted and Lion Brand Fun Fur in Indigo which is a bit more periwinkle-like with sections of blue-violet and green-violet held together with the black for the 4 rib rows at the start. I think it looks very elegant with the black.

No comments: