Saturday, August 9, 2008

12 Comments Left!

I spent the afternoon with Horizon and I have only the folder with the 12 comments that require more thought and more writing to integrate them, if I decide to follow her advice. That means that my goal of having Horizon rewritten by September so I can start looking for an agent is within reach. I'm facing the very odd possibility that I will achieve both of my New Year's resolutions this year.

August 8--Write about something that was stolen--Funny how you seldom think of it as something that can be stolen. It seems like something you either have or you don't. Mona always felt that she had it, that she'd always have it and never lose it. But then Jack died, was murdered actually, and her whole world was turned upside down. In the dark hours before dawn after the policeman Rooibos came to tell her that Jack was dead, she stood on the patio staring at the ocean realizing that it was gone. That she had slowly handed it over, let Jack steal it away bit by bit until she stood there completely without it. By the time the sun was up and the day's heat began to rise Mona was determined not to leave the island until she'd regained at least a good measure of her self-respect.

Not bad. See you Tuesday, Bob.
--Barbara

No comments: