Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Corn & Squirrels

I ran out of cob corn on Saturday but there was about two cups of loose kernels in the bottom of the bag so I dumped them out on the lawn this afternoon.  It didn't take long for the squirrels and chipmunks to find the bonanza.  There ensued a lively hour of one rodent charging another to gain access to the bounty.  First a chipmunk would rush the squirrel a couple times to drive it off, stuff its cheek pouches with a few kernels, before another squirrel would come to chase the chippie away.  Entertaining.



For variety, here's a Stella d'Oro bud or two getting ready to bloom in the next few days.



Another sedum plant's flowers are starting to color but these are more of a bronze-y color. They still attract bees though.



One of the tall weeds in the back of the garden is blooming and the flowers have attracted ants.  They're pretty much the only ants I've seen all summer.  There haven't even been ants trying to climb down to the hummingbird nectar feeder and I haven't had any pesticide spraying for years.  Where are the ants?


I started the second Edition 3 mitt this afternoon and am up to the thumb gusset.  I sure do like the colors of this yarn and knitting these mitts has kind of resurrected my knitting mojo.  Hooray!


Today's toss was a pair of red fake Crocs that never really fit me.  Don't worry, I washed them before putting them into the toss box.

The prompt today said that a chemical accident has made the outside world uninhabitable and people have to live underground.  Describe what it's like to live on the outside.  What came to me was how much I would miss the sun and wind.  The other thing I thought of was how restricted movement would be in a totally manmade environment, how you'd be limited to paths and places that someone had made rather than the freedom to roam in all directions.

I'm so proud of myself.  I remembered to put out the trash and recycling tonight.  Usually I remember just as the garbage truck trundles by.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

And the sky!! You love looking up at the sky -- me too. Especially here in Florida. There's something about the blue, blue sky that seems better here. Don't know why.