Sunday, December 13, 2020

Sedate Sunday

 My first instinct was to say that I hadn't done much today but actually, now that I think about it I accomplished quite a bit today.  First I folded a basket of laundry then I got dressed, and before noon  too.  After that I got my coat on and went out to start the snowblower.  It worked!  Not the first try or even the second, but the third time I pressed the start button it rumbled to life and sat there roaring away.  I let it run a couple minutes and then shut it off.  As long as I already had on a coat and gloves I grabbed a hat and the door key and took a walk around the block.  I wished that I had put on a scarf because the wind was sharp and cold on my neck.  What I want to know is why it seemed like the wind was in my face no matter which direction I was facing.  Puzzling.



After lunch I made another batch of Cranberry Pineapple Relish.  It's zero points for a half-cup serving and I'm a big fan of cranberry sauce, especially the kind made with whole berries.


I spent the rest of the afternoon watching movies on Amazon Prime.  I watched Bohemian Rhapsody and The Hunger Games, both of them in my video library so they were freebies.  I knitted on the beanie while I watched and was less than thrilled to find a knot in the skein.  That means that I cut out the knot, leave an end, and start up with the other end of the yarn, which means I have two more ends to weave in when I'm done knitting.  *sigh*  I hate knots.

13 December--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

             I went back down into the lobby and sitting room where my sewing machine crouched in the corner waiting for me.  The ache in my upper back from a week of hunching over it had not gone away and it started throbbing at the thought of another day spent peering at that silver needle flashing up and down making a zillion stitches.  Maybe I would take the day off.  Maybe I should walk next door to Tamarind and book a spot on the afternoon dive boat.

            Iggy and Calvin came downstairs talking plumbing and went into the kitchen.  I trailed after them to make sure that Calvin plumbed the kitchen so that it had the layout I was looking for.  It only took him an hour to survey the entire hotel's plumbing including my apartment's little bathroom and the taps for the washer and dryer that would eventually reside on the covered back porch.  Calvin stood in the shade of the plumeria trees he was parked under, scribbling on his clipboard and referring to the bill of lading.

            Iggy came over and said, "I am sorry that Calvin played that prank on you when he first arrived.  That surprised me; it is not like him usually."

            "It didn't endear him to me, I admit, but since he's your friend and you vouch for his work, I'll put up with him."  I looked up into those amazing chocolate brown eyes.  "Are you sure he's the best man for the job?"

            Iggy crossed his arms and looked over at Calvin who was leaning on the bulbous fender of his ancient pickup truck and frowning over his clipboard.  "He is a very good plumber.  I have known him since we were in grammar school and he is an honest man.  He has to be, his wife is the daughter of the old governor of the island and she would have his head on a platter if he ever did anything to tarnish the governor's name."

            I looked up to see a rueful smile cross his face.  I longed to kiss that smile.  "Actually that is as good a recommendation as any.  It makes me feel better about him, at any rate."

            Calvin straightened, tucked his pen behind his right ear, and came over to where I stood on the edge of the porch.  "I have gone over the place from top to bottom, Mrs. Rose, and I think you do have enough piping and fixtures for me to complete the work that needs to be done."  He showed me his figuring and slid his finger under the total for labor.  "Is this in line with what you anticipated?"

            I took my time reading the long list of things that needed to be done, making sure that what I had been thinking needed doing had made the list.  It was all there.  I had especially wanted small sinks installed in each of the guest rooms so that each one could wash up a bit in the privacy of the bedroom and only need to share the bathroom for using the toilet and for showering; that was listed.

            He jabbed a finger at a notation in the middle of the second page.  "I thought you might like to have a small sink and a cold water tap installed in the sideboard of the lobby.  Iggy said you were planning to serve your guests breakfast there and those items would make preparing coffee and cleanup more convenient.  It does not add much to the total bill since I can just drop a small branch line down from the corner sink in the room above."

            I was surprised at that level of thinking ahead.  "What a great idea, Calvin.  I like that a lot.  Do you have any other thoughts about things I might not have considered?"

            He shook his head.  "Not at this time, but if things occur to me as we are working I will be sure to call them to your attention."

            I went over the rest of the bid for the job and approved of every item.  " Calvin, I would be happy if you and your crew would do the plumbing work at The Seaview."  I extended my hand and Calvin took it in his.


Today's toss was an old fake pearl and bead evening bag.  I do not envision having an occasion to need an evening bag anytime in the future.  Someone will like it.

I forgot to write the prompt today.  I'll do double tomorrow.  Cross my heart.

--Barbara


1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That cranberry pineapple relish looks delish. I love anything with whole cranberries too. Didn't make my usual recipe for Thanksgiving so maybe I'll try yours. Glad your snowblower is ready for action but I hope you don't need it any time soon.