Saturday, July 11, 2020

No Cooking Today

Instead of cooking I mowed the lawn.  Each one takes about the same amount of time, an hour, and each is very satisfying in its own way.  I don't have any mowing pictures.  The before and after just aren't that different or that interesting.  This time the weeds in the backyard were pretty tall but that only made it easier to see where to go.



After cooling off and taking a shower I worked on the Log Cabin cloth, getting the fourth patch done and picking up stitches for the fifth, and final, patch.  Then I get to weave in all the tails before pressing it into service as a dishcloth.  I need to learn how to knit in the tails as I go, I know there's a way to do it and there's probably a YouTube video that will teach me.  How did we learn things before YouTube?



I ate one of the squash halves stuffed with sloppy joe for supper.  It was delicious.  Since I can't freeze the spaghetti squash I have to eat them fairly quickly.  Oh dear, what a trial.  Not.  I need to figure out another zero points food that I can put the rest of the sloppy joe on.  Maybe cauliflower.


11 July--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 
Rooibos questioned Mona Davidson for more than an hour, asking her what she had done the day before, who she had been with, her relationship with Jack. 
She told him that he had been in a better mood, was excited and energized since meeting Manning at George and Susan Clemment’s party about a month ago.  She told about Jack telling her to “make herself scarce” when he was meeting with Manning and that he would not tell her what they talked about or what business they had together.  She assumed it had something to do with shipwrecks since Manning had talked about nothing else at the cocktail party where Jack and he had met.  She had stood next to Jack all evening while he listened enthralled to Manning’s tales of adventure and riches. 
She told him she had struck up a friendship with Susan Clemment and had joined the Art League and made a few other friends on the island, but she did not know of anyone who was angry enough with Jack to kill him.  Maybe it was an accident? 
On his way back to the station from Mona’s villa in Belnem he stopped at the Chibi Chibi Restaurant at the Divi Flamingo resort to sit on the upper deck and have some supper.  While he sat there enjoying the view over the water and sipping a drink, he overheard a pair of women talking at the next table.
Detective Inspector Joachim Rooibos pushed his chair around so that he was facing the setting sun and allowed himself to sip a gin and tonic to unwind from his stressful day.  It had been months, nearly a year actually, since someone had died on the island in suspicious circumstances so he had the feeling that he needed to gear down or tool up or get up to speed to deal with the many different aspects of investigating the death.  His visit with the coroner, Doctor Franz Booi, in his lab this morning had helped him to focus on a few of the things he needed to be thinking of while interviewing people who might have an interest in killing Jack Spencer. 


Today I tossed some plastic containers that weren't what I wanted them to be.  I bought them thinking they'd be good for Investment Cooking meals but they weren't big enough for some recipes or small enough for others.  Ah well, live and learn.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Trying to think of something that goes with Sloppy Joes but all I can come up with is a bun. And I know that isn't even in the running. I'm not very creative in the cooking department. Did make all those cupcakes yesterday so now I'm dedicated to eating them. Maybe one for breakfast? I'll call it a Danish. Did the Goodwill haul yesterday. Thanks for the motivation.