Sunday, December 2, 2018

A Snowy Sunday

The snow in my backyard (and the front yard too, of course) was replenished overnight and through the day.  It never got really cold cold so the streets are wet, instead of snowy.  If you look you will see that even on this overcast day the retaining wall timbers give off enough heat to start melting the snow away.





This Downy Woodpecker came by for a suet snack today. I know I say it every time but I admire their natty striped plumage.




Today's toss isn't a toss exactly.  DS hauled up the basket of video tapes that we took over the years so I sorted through to make sure that they're all dated and then packed them into a tote.  I plan to haul the whole thing to Camera Corner tomorrow to have them start transferring them to DVDs.  None of us can watch VHS tapes anymore and Durwood is on some of them.  I want to hear his voice again.  It'll cost an arm and a leg to have it done but I don't want those images to be lost so I'll pay.


After lunch I opened a bunch of cans of beans, six to be exact, two cans of diced tomatoes, and two cans of tomato sauce, diced an onion and a Poblano pepper, and combined all of that plus a packet of chili seasoning in the slow cooker to make WW Super-Easy Three Bean Chili which counts 0 points per 1 1/3c serving.  It's not bad, it needs some flavor boosting but it's a good start.  You finish it off with lime juice and cilantro which helps but it needs... something.  I've got 10 servings of it so I've got plenty of chances to tweak it.




Once the tapes were safely in the back of the car I went downstairs to finish sewing the flannel owl dress.  I decided to put the neck binding on the outside this time and on the top edge of the pockets to add a bit of accent color.  I can't wait to wear it.





During a lull in the rain/snow this afternoon I got the little flamingo out and set it up in front of the house.  The last time I put it up it didn't stand up very well so I uprooted a 36-inch crook from the back and stuck it in the front so I could use some twine to tie the bird to the stick.  It isn't as dramatic as the 9 ft. flamingo but it's the best I've got this year.  I promise to fix the big one for next year.



 

After supper of chili I picked up the next grandkid hat that was such a bugger on Friday night, knitted three rounds, and decided that it would be too big, so I frogged it again.  That has to be the sixth time I've ripped it off the needles and started over but I'm hoping the seventh cast-on is the charm.  Fingers crossed.

I didn't write the prompt last night.  Once again I was up too darned late so I just went to bed.  My flu shot and the jaw that the dentist abused last week woke me up twice in the night (I'm assuming that the jaw pain was due to the swiftly changing weather).  The second time I was smart enough to take a tylenol which helped.  I'll be glad when I get my crown installed and I get my partial back.  In a week and 2 days but who's counting.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The return of the Green Bay Flamingo!! Tradition is served. Love the owl dress and the binding is the perfect finishing touch. So glad you're getting those tapes made into DVDs so you can hear D's voice. Paul's pre-stroke voice on our former answering machine was one of the many things I hated to leave behind when we moved. But life goes on.