Sunday, February 11, 2018

Explain This, Please

This morning my left ankle and foot hurt, like I'd stepped funny.  I wondered if it was smart to attempt a snowshoe jaunt in the park with KW.  It was gray and overcast and a little snowy until about 11 o'clock, then the sun came out and the sky turned blue.  I texted KW and she suggested visiting the hot tub at the Y after snowshoeing.  What a great idea!  So that's what we did.  First we tromped through the park a ways (no owls were heard but then there was a lot of chat going on) then we drove by the place where her "retirement" home will be built, closer to her job and less irksome in maintenance demands, and on to the Y for a bit of water-walking followed by a nice long parboil in the hot tub.  (Man, there's a lot of chlorine in those things.  My nose is still stinging from it.)  As far as my ankle/foot pain, as soon as I clamped on the snowshoes nothing hurt.  I expected to get twinges as I walked.  Nope.  Not a one.  I did pick up a bumper crop of cockleburs on my left mitten and the left side of my fleece pullover.  It's been ages since I've had to pick those out of my, or anyone else's, clothing.




Here's today's cooking.  Two 2-serving packages of WW Chicken Cacciatore went into the freezer.  One gets to come along next weekend and the other will be in reserve.  For supper tonight we had half of the Honey-Garlic Chicken with rice and sauteed yellow squash alongside.  Yum.  (this is the other half for tomorrow's supper)  This morning I also thawed out a package of roasted tomato sauce I made a few years ago that Durwood wasn't a fan of, added a bit of tomato paste, some onions, celery, bell peppers, and herbs, simmered it until it was thickened and reduced, and I'll take that along to spoon over the WW Baked Ziti I made yesterday.  Instead of a jar of commercial sauce that I don't know what's in it that I'd have to count, I just made my own.  It'll probably taste better anyway.






While watching the luge and snowboarding tonight I got to the crown decreases on Lala's Shapka.  I was hoping to have it done for her birthday--last Wednesday--but figure there's plenty of winter left so I don't feel bad.  It'll get done sometime this week, get shown off at knitting guild on Thursday night and then get sent off early next week.

February 11--German, Nordemende Radio.  You couldn't tell it was a radio.  That's what made it so valuable.  If anyone saw it they thought it was a plastic storage case or a teenager's box of secrets.  There didn't seem to be a way to open it.  The doors were on spring latches, you pressed in a certain place and part of the front popped open to reveal the dial and tuning knobs.  Mikel and his family would gather around the radio after supper, making sure the windows were closed and the curtains drawn.

I'm hoping for another nice day tomorrow, maybe nice enough to snowshoe around the yard and maybe up and down the neighbors' hill.  Nothing too strenuous, I promise, but I can't just not go.  It'll only be reliably snowy this month.  The last few years March has been depressingly snowless and  brown.  I know, I know.  This is turning into another of my "manias" as Durwood calls them but it's good for me to get moving.  I know I could take a walk but it's more fun to snowshoe.  I want to.  I'm a grownup.  I get to.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

While you were out snowshoeing, Paul was in the pool! Everyone "blooming where they're planted" -- or something like that. The session at the Y afterwards sounded perfect.