Sunday, January 4, 2009

How many days until Spring?????

I cannot believe how much precipitation we have received this year in the form of rain and snow. If we have gone more than 3 days without something falling from the sky, I would be amazed.

Barbara, I love your Sunflowers piece. You really captured the feelings one gets from the familiarity of a work of art and how that piece tends to engrain itself into other aspects of one's life. Where are you getting your prompts, by the way????

You're Standing in a Doorway

I'm scared, but I don't want to show it. I try to swallow the lump in my throat but it's stuck like when you quickly swallow that last bite of oatmeal without having that final swallow of milk to help it on its way. I look around the room, my eyes staring warily at the others who are either staring back at me or don't even notice me because they are busy playing with all of the toys scattered around the room.

"It's going to be ok Sam", my mother whispers in my ear. "Kindergarten is alot of fun." I nod my head without saying a word because I know that if I say anything, my voice will crack and mommy will see that I'm not the brave little man she tells me that I am. I wrap my arms around her neck squeezing her tight, not wanting to let go. She returns the hug, her hands rubbing my back in the same way she does when she helps me drift off to sleep, but this time she lets go.

"Hi, my name is Michael. What's yours?" I look over my shoulder at the direction of the voice. "I'm Sam", I reply shyly. Michael holds out his hand to me. "Want to be my friend?" I look at my mom one last time and smile. "Yes," I reply. I take Michael's hand and we head into the classroom. I am no longer afraid.

No comments: