Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Traditional Architectural Detail

You know, Bob, that scene in the Butch Cassidy movie is a great analogy for a lot of the parts of my life lately too. The important thing to remember, and something I often lose sight of, is that they survived the fall and came back better than ever. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find someplace to live today and you keep your fingers crossed that I find an appropriate mother-of-the-groom dress that hides what I want hidden and reveals just enough to remind people that I'm still a person.

These old buildings are like rabbit warrens, Manning thought as he followed the signs and faded arrows to the department of permits. A person could get trapped in there, unable to make a quick getaway if the situation warranted it. No wonder Bunny refused to come in to apply for the permits they needed for their proposed salvage operation. Bunny had an aversion to anything official, anyone wearing a uniform, and any task requiring the wearing of shoes for long periods or spending extended periods indoors. Even the hours spent underwater helping Manning "discover" the artifacts left Bunny shaky and sputtering about how he felt oppressed by the weight of the water. "I needs to be free, mon," he said, shaking saltwater out of his dreads. "Just listen to Brother Bob's words."

I'll toss one of my many books of exercises in my bag, you bring your list of writing principles, I'll pass the word on to Jenny, and we'll have a fine old time. See you Thursday.

--Barbara

P.S. Another writing friend has challenged me to get off my lazy @ss and submit some things and keep working on Horizon even just one page a day. How about, since today's April 1, we challenge ourselves to submit something, even just one thing, this month? We can talk about it Thursday.

No comments: