Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Birds Big & Small

I'll start with the biggest, the Turkey. I was eating breakfast and this huge dark shape stalked into view. It's so big, it's no wonder they can barely fly. Although once on the highway I saw one fly out of the weeds on the side of the road and fly smack dab into the side of a semi trailer. It did not end well for the bird.

 


Next smallest was the camera-shy Red-bellied Woodpecker. I waited and waited hoping it would shift positions so I could see more than the top of its head but it stubbornly stayed on the back side of the suet nuggets feeder.

 

Then there was a juvenile Cardinal that hopped across the patio and just when I thought I'd missed it, it flew up to land on the edge of the patio table so I got this blurry shot of it. I haven't seen a Cardinal in along time.

 


A Downy Woodpecker flew to land on the birdbath for a nice drink. I was afraid that the Sparrow on there would scare it away but it stood its ground and stayed.

 

Twice today I saw a Hummingbird, and twice today it flew away long before I had the camera up and ready, so this is a picture from the  archives representing the birds that I saw.

 


Here's yesterday's gratitude journal page. I was mostly grateful that the rain held off until almost bedtime because it would have been a real difficult job for N and F to install the new air conditioner next door in the rain. Also I was grateful that my cleaning lady came.

 

In the afternoon, I worked on formatting Sailing the Seas on Atticus for uploading to Kindle Create. I also formatted it on  Kindle Create to see which one I like better. I think Atticus wins. It's more user-friendly and it doesn't scare me by pausing with the message "not responding" every once in a while.

 


The drawing today is Juniper. When I turned the page I thought it was blueberries but they don't have needle-like leaves, and then it said juniper on top of the page. Usually I don't like fussy things to draw like those needles but this evening I liked drawing them. Go figure. The camera didn't flash so the picture is dull and yellowish. In person it's bright white paper and colorful berries and leaves.

 

I added two rounds to Scrap Hat #8 tonight. Two more even rounds and then it's on to the crown decreases. I was happy to see a bit of orange show up to liven up the neutrals I've got going on.

 

I broke down and did laundry today. Three loads--darks, lights, and the bleach load of towels, undies, and socks. Lots of undies and socks. I even carried up the basket of clean laundry. It'll sit around for a while waiting to get folded. Don't want to rush into anything. 

--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

That turkey really is BIG. Her nest must be close around you and it's got to be real big. No way you could miss her strutting around in your backyard.