Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Blue Sky!

 We had blue sky for part of today.  This morning I could see the edge of the cloud blanket just to the north and it took its sweet time getting here but it made it by about noon.  Woohoo!



With the blue sky came sunshine!  And a Downy Woodpecker came to the feeder.  I know it doesn't look like it in the picture but the feeders were in the shade of the house and the rest of the yard was in sunshine.  Sunshine!  It was wonderful, so wonderful I went out and took a walk.


 

The squirrel did its level best this week and managed to eat all of the suet pellets.  I tell you, I watch it hang there nibbling away and watching the level of pellets drop in the feeder.  It fended off all comers with its ferocious (for a squirrel) grunt that seems to convey the message and the others scamper off.



Tonight was the knitting guild social knitting Zoom and I got the rest of the hat body knitted on the Warm Seasons Beanie.  Now all that's left are the crown decreases and I can start on the next project.  Whatever that will be.  Maybe another hat, maybe another preemie hat, maybe something completely different.

 

 

13 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

             Once our passenger had left, Iggy reached over and settled his hand on my knee.  I wrapped my fingers around his strong hand and held on tight.  Being locked out had affected me more than I thought it would.  What if Gerald LeMoinette had a lot of relatives in high places on the island and one by one they took turns interfering with my plans?

            I knew that most resorts and restaurants on the island were closed during September and almost all of October but I hoped to be open then to start with a trickle of guests instead of a flood.  Not that I ever expected a flood of guests, not with only four rooms but the idea of a slow start appealed to me.  That way I could ease into the business of being an innkeeper and work at perfecting breakfast recipes.  Having spent a couple months grocery shopping on the island I wondered where and how I'd get enough ingredients.  That reminded me that I needed to email my daughter-in-law, Elizabeth for help developing muffin recipes using fruits available on the island and things like egg casseroles once the kitchen was operational.   I wasn't worried about finding eggs, there were enough chickens running around the island I figured that there were probably eggs under every shrub and rock.  Before I had a kitchen I needed a toilet so the Health Department would get off my back and let us finish the renovation.  No toilets meant no work and no work meant no guests--ever, and spending my golden years in the poor house.

            With that unhappy thought Iggy's truck turned the corner to go down the steep hill into Sandy Ground.  I leaned forward watching for Calvin's truck parked behind the Seaview.  My heart lifted when I caught sight of the mangy green truck with the faded lettering on the driver's door.  The sun glared off the windshield so I couldn't see if anyone was sitting in it.  Iggy had barely put his truck in park when I got out and hurried to the back door which was standing wide open.

            "Oh, thank god."

            Iggy came up beside me.  "Well, it looks like Gerald is back on island.  Either that or Calvin hacksawed his way in and we're in worse trouble than ever."

            My eyes flew to his face.  "Would he do that?"

            Iggy chuckled.  "Probably not.  My, you are jumpy this morning."


Today's toss was another 3-ring binder and also a turtleneck.  I put it on and it hung on me like a sack.  Not my size anymore.  Out with it.

It was so nice to take a walk in the sunshine this afternoon.  It wasn't too cold or too windy, the perfect winter day.  It can stay just like this for a couple months and then get warmer.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ahhh - that blue sky! I love to wake up to a sky like that. I call it a "Florida Sky" but I'm glad you got one too. That is the best-fed squirrel ever.