Friday, November 20, 2020

Plain Old Bird

Man, there weren't any interesting birds out at the feeders today.  Just this plain old Sparrow and a few of his friends, and a Chickadee hiding on the back side.  I hoped to see a Bluejay at the peanut wreath but all of the peanuts were gone by sundown yesterday and only squirrels got them.

 


Today the squirrels were reduced to eating the cob corn I put in the feeder back by the fence.  I'm always envious of their ability to hang by their back feet.  I think it would feel so good to have my spine stretched out like that.

 

 

 

Yesterday when I stopped at Zambaldi Beer to see DS they had set up a display of their merchandise on one table and the gift boxes on another.  I wish I knew someone to gift one of these boxes to but the only people I know who like beer are DS and DIL1 and they own the place.  I think one of these would be a fun thing for a beer lover to find under the Christmas tree.

 


I got about four inches of hat knitted tonight at Friday Night Knitting.  I need to get to six inches before starting the crown decreases.  I'll probably make it tomorrow.

 

 

 20 November--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

             A couple days later I remembered to ask Iggy about Abram Reynolds.  "Are there any people named Reynolds on the island?"  I asked. 

            "Reynolds? There's Old Reynaldo, the goat man..."

            "I know him," I said, "but I found a letter and bank passbook with the name Abram Reynolds on it.  It looks like he was the original builder of the Seaview, so I wonder if there is any of his family still on Anguilla." 

            Iggy looked at the sky and rubbed his jaw.  "I do not know any folks with the surname of Reynolds.  I know a couple with that name as a given name but no one with that family name." 

            I put my hand on his arm.  "Thanks. Maybe the bank will know someone."

             "Or the church," he said. "The church might be more willing to tell you about him and his family than the bank. Those bankers like to keep secrets, even when they do not need to."

            "What a great idea, Iggy." I hugged him.  "I'll go by to see the minister tomorrow before I get all sweaty and dirty. Does he live nearby?"

            He nodded and said, "In the house next to the church but the minister is a lady; you need to get with the times, Rose."  He grinned down at me. "Do you want me to come along and introduce you?"

"Oh no, that would start tongues wagging all over the island even more than they are now, don't you think? Seeing you and me walk into the church would provide gossip for people for months, maybe years." 

            He nodded again.  "You have a point.  I will call Pastor Davis to let her know you will visit.  Maybe she will have time to search for the information before you arrive." 

            I put my arms around his neck.  "What a great idea. Thank you." 

            His arms pulled me close and he dipped his lips to mine. "I like the way you say thank you."

            I dropped my arms to my sides.  Hmm, that was interesting.

 

 

Today's toss was another short stack of knitting books.  I paged through them to make sure I wasn't getting rid of something I'd regret but none of the patterns made my heart go pitter pat.

I got a late start writing this afternoon and ran out of steam at 1300 words which isn't enough but also isn't nothing.  I keep forgetting to turn on the nature sounds I have on my phone which seems to make the words come easier.  I hope to remember tomorrow.  I need an easy word day.

--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Maybe its good you don't really like beer. You might not be as slim as you are if you were having a Zambaldi's every night! Your sensible portioning out and eating right have really paid off for you. Most people probably have gained weight through all this "stay at home" time. I know we have!