Wednesday, October 14, 2020

What Did I Make Today?

I made soup.  I get a recipe every day from AllRecipes and usually it's nothing I'd ever make.  Some of them sound good but when I read the ingredients there's too much fat or sugar so I just delete the email.  Last week one day there was a recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Soup that purported to be creamy and delicious without any cream and just a few ingredients.  Sounded interesting so I ran it through the WW recipe creator (dropping the olive oil from 1/4 cup to 1 Tablespoon, because who needs that much oil to saute some onions) to find that one serving is one point.  Score!  So I laid in the ingredients and today I made soup.  I know it looks like a bowl of pablum or wallpaper paste but, trust me, this is good.  The trick is that while the onions are sauteing you roast the cauliflower under the broiler so it's nice and sweet and roasty tasting when you add it to the pot.  Then when it's all simmered and tender, you whizz it up with an immersion blender to make it creamy.  I needed to add more salt and pepper and a little Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle (which I put in or on just about everything) but I'll make it again.  It made the perfect supper on this chilly, windy day with a little cheese and crackers on the side.



There aren't a lot of fancy birds coming to the feeders these days but there's a small group of House Finches that comes nearly every day.  This lone male Finch came today and had a good time riding the swaying platform feeder.  I was lucky to get even this substandard shot with today's gusty winds.



I sat down to knit on the Virgo Campfire Sock this afternoon and realized that I really didn't like it at all.  Not one bit.  Then I lost a stitch and couldn't find it.  I must have dropped it but danged if I could find where it went.  That was the last straw so I yanked out the needles and frogged it back to a ball of yarn.  Then I put the ball of yarn into the bag of yarn that I'm taking to Goodwill.   I am so over that yarn even if it's supposed to represent my zodiac sign.  Those colors do not represent me.  I tried to like it, I really did, but it was no use.  Buh bye, ugly yarn.



Then because I needed something to knit I cast on Stuck-at-Home Warshrag #6 because it's a pattern I have memorized, one that I can knit while watching TV and not have to think much.  Thinking is hard lately.

 

14 October--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's.

A few of the regular patrons were aware of the importance of the evening to John and they stayed around long after finishing their meals to offer their silent support on this night of nights and also to get a look at the woman John was so crazy about.  Other patrons smelling the luscious aromas coming from John’s special meal asked Fay where it was on the menu so they could order it and were disappointed “Sorry, it’s a special dinner for our cook, John, and his sweetheart from home.  There’s only enough for two.  I’m sorry.  Maybe we can ask Brady about putting it on the specials menu.”

“What do you mean we can’t have that?  The whole place smells like it and we can’t have any?  We’re leaving and you can be sure we won’t be back.” 

No one in the place thought that it was a great loss. 

Finally, everyone’s waiting paid off, John and Rosa arrived. 

John was nearly unrecognizable.  He was wearing clean and knife creased jeans, a green and white plaid cowboy shirt, a string tie with a thunderbird and turquoise slide, highly polished pointy toed cowboy boots, and a white ten-gallon cowboy hat with a rattlesnake skin hatband. 

Rosa was at least six inches shorter than the five-foot-six-inch tall John.  She wore a beautiful ruffled black skirt in with multicolored embroidered flowers and birds all over it.  Her blouse was white with a ruffle around the shoulders.  Her wavy black hair cascaded halfway down her back and she had a beautiful ruby and emerald embroidered wool shawl around her shoulders and the ends clutched in her fists.  Her liquid brown eyes darted around the café; it was obvious that John told her that everyone in there was waiting to meet her.  She looked nervous.  John looked nervous. 

Only Brady and Fay knew that he planned to ask Rosa to marry him after their meal.  He made a special dessert for her and instructed Fay how and when to serve it.  She hoped her hands wouldn’t shake when she served it, or her facial expression give it away.


Today's toss was going through a small tote that held things that used to be in the old computer desk--dried up pens, random paper clips of various sizes, a few postcards, a couple pebbles, a couple pictures--you know, the sort of crap that accumulates and gets saved for no apparent reason.  A little of it is saved, most of it is gone.

I had a Zoom meeting this afternoon to help make sure that the technology for tomorrow night's Knitting Guild meeting went smoothly and, wouldn't you know, just as I was booting up my laptop Microsoft started an update.  Gah!  So nothing would open and I was frantic until I remembered that I have Zoom on my iPad too so I snatched it up, booted it up, and ta-da! showed up just in time.  It's a good thing I'm a bit of a spendthrift and bought myself that iPad otherwise I'd have been Zooming on my phone.  Which is doable but not as much fun.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

This must be the week for creamy soup. I made Hard Rock Cafe Baked Potato and it was delicious. Lots of chunks of potato, chicken stock, cream, sauteed onions, shredded cheese and bacon! Don't think it would qualify for WW!! Too bad that sock didn't work for you but you can always count on the Covid Shut-In dishcloth.