Thursday, June 20, 2019

I Woke Too Early

That's what happened today at four-bloody-thirty in the morning.  I woke up needing to toddle to the loo, one bird tweeted (ONE!), and my brain kicked in.  "It's morning!" it said.  "No, it's still night," I corrected.  "Uh-uh," it said, "the birds are singing and it's light outside."  I groaned and rolled over.  "No, you're wrong.  One bird is singing and it's barely light.  Go back to sleep," I pleaded to no avail.  So up I got, I yog-ed, ate breakfast, got dressed in workout clothes and off to the Y I went.

T the trainer had me doing core work again and squats.  The stick I'm holding is attached to the railing by a rubber band that tries to tug the stick toward the railing while I hold it upright.  It looks easy but by the third 30-second round my arms shake and I have to really focus to hold it straight.


I stopped at Meijer on my way home from the Y to get groceries, came home, put them away, ate lunch, and promptly fell asleep on the couch for an hour.  Ahhh.  Then I whipped up a double batch of Mexican Rice to take to the knitting guild picnic tonight.  The rice was a big hit even though I mixed up the cheese quantities.  I was supposed to buy 1 lb. of Monterey Jack and 1/2 lb. of Cheddar but I reversed it.  I wasn't about to go back to the store so this batch is Cheddar-heavy.  I also used 0% fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream so it's a little dry but it still tastes yummy.  I ate a tiny brownie and had more rice for dessert.



I cast on another chrysalis after supper at the picnic.  I realized that I wanted to enter one in the Fair but I gave LC and OJ the ones I made earlier so I have to make another one.  Oh, darn.  A few of us talked about what we'll enter in the Fair which got me thinking about what I made over the last year than I can enter.  I'll enter that asymmetrical cardigan I knitted that I love so much and I need to finish the Fake Isle hat so I can enter it.  What else?  I'll have to look to see what I've made.  I should probably finish the Car Knitting Warshrag because you have to have two dishcloths to make an entry.  I'll take it into the dentist's office tomorrow.  There'll probably be waiting involved.

20 June--Barbara Malcolm, Horizon. 

After Matt’s call, I sat staring at the wall.  Now I’d seen or heard from all three of my sons.  Only Matt sounded unfazed by the changes I’d made in my life.  Aaron and Sam seemed ready to call in a deprogrammer.
           Maybe I’ll resell my new clothes and let my hair grow again. I started to cry.  No, I will not.     “It’s my life,” I said to the empty house.  “I’m a grown woman, I can do what I want when I want.  I let them go off and live their lives the way they want.  What gives them the right to try to control mine?  Did we raise them to be so narrow-minded that they expect me to stay frozen in one place?”  I had spent my entire life fitting someone else’s vision.  This was my time and no amount of whining was going to derail my pleasure in my new interests.
By the time I stopped crying it was too late to paint with the poor lighting in the studio.  With winter fast approaching, I resolved to do something about it soon, maybe tomorrow.  I locked up, grabbed a crossword puzzle book, and went to bed.



Neither CG nor his partner D have returned to smooth out the dirt, broadcast the seeds and fertilizer, and cover it with straw.  I hope someone shows up tomorrow because it's supposed to rain on Saturday which will either water the new seed or make it impossible to finish the job because there's mud instead of dry dirt.  *sigh*
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

I woke up too late!! Had to miss my once-a-week body in balance class yesterday when the morning got away from me. But still had a bit of a nap in the afternoon. At least you had an excuse to nod off on the couch. Fingers crossed you don't get rain. I'm as anxious as you are to have the backyard finished. Glad Gail didn't give in to her negative thoughts. Those boys of hers need to let her be. Any connection between this character and your chrysalis project? Coinkydink???

Unknown said...

Love your snippet stories, Barb!See you at the reunion!