Friday, May 24, 2019

I Know It's Late

But my renter's sister is going to a wedding tomorrow, had a dress shortened by a seamstress in Iowa (where she lives), and the hem wasn't straight.  So being a good person I agreed to pin it tonight and get it sewn up for tomorrow morning at 9 AM.  She didn't get here until after 9:30, I pinned and pinned and pinned, and sewed it up.  It's not a professional job.  Mom would be horrified.  I'm semi-horrified.  But it's better and it's done.


The blue pansy I bought last month, plunked into a clay pot, and marooned on the patio table is blooming.  Look at that!  Surprise!




In other backyard news, there was one lonely asparagus spear.  I picked and ate it.  Wouldn't you?  Of course you would.  Thanks, Dad.  I should really get down on my knees for a few days to dig up all of the violets that the birds have planted so that the asparagus can breathe.







The apple tree buds are starting to open


 

and a different kind of sparrow (I think) paid the feeder a visit today.  I didn't take the time to look it up but I'm pretty sure it's a variety of sparrow.





 

The male Downy Woodpecker came for a suet snack today too.  He hasn't been around in a while, must be busy courting the Mrs.




At knitting tonight I cast on May Preemie Hat #3 and finished it except for drawing the yarn through the remaining stitches and closing the top.  I really like this yarn's colors.  Looks summery to me.





24 May--Barbara Malcolm,  Horizon. 

The Kingman Times was delivered the next morning.  I refilled my mug from the teapot before settling down to read the local weekly newspaper from cover to cover; farm reports, wedding announcements, obituaries, and everything in between.
Carrie Hetrick’s cooking column was always interesting with its mix of traditional, foreign, and low-calorie recipes.  I figured Carrie’s recipe choice was based on how tight her jeans had been that week.  The dinner menus of the whole area were touched by whether Carrie had been reading Bon Appetit, Taste of Home, or Weight Watchers magazines.  This week’s recipe was Moroccan lamb with apricots and cinnamon.  Bon Appetit strikes again, I thought with a smile.
Abel Baker’s garden column, “Dirty Hands,” featured information on getting your plants ready for winter and when to harvest fall crops.  Just below “Dirty Hands” was a tiny ad from the arts and crafts store in the mall in Simpson, ten miles away where State Highway 47, which ran through my small town of Kingman, met the interstate.  “Get in Touch with Your Creative Side” it said.  They were offering classes in beading, beginning crochet, and watercolor.

Today felt odd all day.  I slept until 9:45 this morning so noon felt like 10 o'clock, I didn't get into the shower until after 1:00, and the rest of the day seemed to melt away.  I'll accomplish something tomorrow.  At least I'll get the rest of the plants planted in pots and the carrot and radish seeds planted in the bales.  And now I really need to get to bed so I don't sleep the morning away again tomorrow.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Great pictures today. I love them all - especially that rogue sparrow. Hate to think of you digging up violets so the asparagus can grow but don't dig up all of them. So pretty. You are a good person to do all that pinning and sewing and so late. Way past my bedtime!!