Sunday, November 18, 2018

Awake at 1 AM

That's what happens when an old bat like me naps on the sofa for an hour around 9 PM.  *sigh*  I meant to go to bed around midnight but thought, "oh hell, I might as well blog" so here I am.

I watched this squirrel gymnast eat corn this morning.  It curled up to the cob, calmly removed a kernel, and then stretched out to eat it.  Over and over, for about 15 or 20 minutes.  No rush, no drama, just eating corn.  I confess I wish that I could hang from my feet like that to shake my spine back into alignment.



Just before lunch I went downstairs and bagged up some unused pillows and the bedding for the size of beds that I don't have and took it all to Goodwill.  While I was gathering it up I came across the bins with Mom's photos in them and sorted through a few to see if I could find pictures of my Aunt Cele and Grandpa Oscar to show certain small people.  (I'll look more to find better ones.)  I also found a bunch of photos of the baby DS with Mom, Dad, and Durwood.  I'd forgotten that he was beard-less then.





I worked on the second Appleseed mitt tonight but only got a few rows knitted before my brain clicked off.  I'll finish the cuff and get started knitting the hand tomorrow.  It's a fast knit, I forget why I put it down.



 
As I drew the shades I saw the moon, well, the half-moon so I went out (without a coat) to take it's picture.  I can say without a doubt that it's damned cold out there.  When I came in here before and looked out the window I thought that I was the only one up in the neighborhood but when I was out on the lawn snapping this one picture I saw that the lights are on in 3 other houses.  Evidently I live in a neighborhood of night owls--or insomniacs.





Late this afternoon I finally got to fulfill a promise I made to LC and OJ when the skeeters drove us away from our picnic at Pamperin Park that we'd go back and I'd show them Duck Creek and the bridge.  It gets dark so darned early so we didn't have much time because the park closes as sunset but we managed.  Next time we'll go when there's more daylight.  I promise.


17 November--Jan Vermeer, The Astronomer.  He kept his eyes on the heavens.  In his pocket was a small notebook where he charted stars, planets, and meteors.  He wanted to know where he fit in the universe.  He worked the calculations to determine how far away the stars and planets were, and how long it took for light to get from there to here.  The church leaders shunted him aside.  Some even denounced him outright.  They thought his studies negated the omnipotence of God.  He argued that what he learned proved that God was even more supreme than they claimed.  How else would the universe work so efficiently?

I think I can say with confidence that I'm not going to write a prompt tonight.  I'm going to put on the photos, hit "Publish" and go to bed.  And sleep.  Maybe even past 8 o'clock.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Only you would get out of bed at 1AM and blog. I didn't discover this one until this morning. But I'm counting it as a bonus.